Skip to main content

Botox- July 8/07

I can say one thing about botox for migraine prevention. It certainly does not work right away. I am not about to give up hope that it will work, but lets just say so far I have been enduring three days of nasty migraines. If you say 10 is the worst migraine I have ever experienced, then I have been on average a 7.5 these last three days... well beyond functioning. So no decrease in intensity so far nor even frequency.

If you are curious how getting a neurotoxin injected into your head muscles, rather than say directly into the brain, would have any effect on migraines there is actually no clear answer. I can understand how certain drugs affect migraines... affect the excitation of neurons firing and then the inflamation of blood vessels. But botox? Don't get it. Maybe for tension headaches. Anyway here is what I found about the how:

"Why does it work?Based on the mechanism of action of Botox, it is unlikely that anyone would have thought to try it for migraines. Its success in treating some patients has caused problems for those who would attempt to explain why it would work in migraine. One possibility is that muscle tension may act as a trigger for migraine in the same way that light and odors do. By reducing muscle tension, Botox would be eliminating an irritant to the nervous system, which would then reduce the chances of a migraine developing. More recently, studies have shown that Botox may affect other nerve cell signallng systems that have to do with the perception of pain. In an animal model of pain, injection of Botox under the skin resulted in decreased response to painful stimuli. Traditionally, scientists have thought that the pain of migraine was due to swelling and inflammation of blood vessels, but perhaps muscle tension is more of a factor than previously appreciated."

So in other words who knows? Based on this explination I can be certain it will not help with my monster migraines, where certainly the pain is not reflected in my scalp.

Anyway, needless to say I am not in a good mood. At least the toradol is sitting well with me right now, cause the last thing I need is pain from that. I have one week before I go back to work and I am fine with that as long as I get some slight indication this botox is doing something... anything. Even if it just does a little, we can add to that with other preventatives.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…