Skip to main content

Migraine epilepsy

Individuals with one disorder are at least twice as likely to have the other.1,4–7 Comorbid disease presents challenges in both differential diagnosis and concomitant diagnosis.8 When diseases are comorbid, the principle of diagnostic parsimony does not apply. Individuals with one disorder are more likely, not less likely, to have the other.
Epilepsy proffesionals

This is intersting, I had no idea they were comorbid. It makes sense since what occurs with a migraine, the excitation fo neurons, is similar but less severe than what occures during a seizure. Always interesting to know what is going on in your brain. I looked up because of the muscle jerks, sometimes quite violent, which I attribute to either FMS or migraines, but wish they were not there.

The third study suggests that even though migraine and epilepsy are clearly different syndromes, they both cause paroxystic neurological phenomena. The frequency of epilepsy in patients with migraine and migraine in those with epilepsy seems to be higher than expected. They both cause paroxystic neurological phenomena. The authors suggest there may be comorbidity in both conditions. " This coexistence may be due to the episode of one, for example the aura of a migrainous attack, triggering off the other condition, that is an epileptic crisis. So, it may be that the 'migrainous illness' causes the 'epileptic illness' or the other way around. Their coexistence may be due to a risk factor which is common to both, since it has caused a cerebral lesion which is the cause of both disorders. Finally, a risk factor may have a direct effect, without requiring the intervention of an intermediate cerebral lesion to cause both migraine and epilepsy. This last possibility is particularly attractive to explain the comorbidity of migraine with an aura and genetically determined epilepsy". (3)
Attract

Migraine epilepsy is very rare, but you can see how it can happen. Which means we might want to pay attentions to some of those peculiar aura symtoms and how we are when we get them and violet muscle contractions.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…