Skip to main content

Now that the beast is tamed go after the menstrual related migraines

Another recent study examined the relation
between the menstrual cycle and migraine characteristics.
Migraine headache was reported to be significantly
more severe, disabling, and frequent during the menstrual
intervals of the reproductive cycle than during
the midluteal or midcycle intervals.


Treatment options- an interesting information package regarding treatment protocals.

Those of us with menstrual related migraines so know what he is talking about. Most women are not pleased with the whole process as it is; PMS, bloating, mood swings and cramps. Not fun by any means and can be severe. You add in migraines to the mix and it is dibilitating quickly. Nausea, vomiting, severe migraines that sometimes are continuous for days and harder by far to treat.

Those of us with chronic migraines know migraines come mild, moderate, sever and crippling in regards to pain... and even sometimes without pain but many symptoms. These hormonally triggered ones come in severe and crippling. Such that it is pretty darn easy to tell all the times I have gone to the ER for a migraine I could not kill and was killing me, it was these ones.

Long before my migraines became chronic, they were exclusively these hormonal migraines, or pure menstrual migraines. And still I have a hard time managing them. They hit so fast, so painful and with other symptoms that make me feel like I have the flu. Without any treatment I used to have them so bad I could go from upright to excruciating pain in 2.5 seconds.

For me, things had improved when I was put on a triptan that was not in pill form, but rather something that got into me fast before I became too ill. Likewise, an anti-inflammatory that was rapid release, for the severe cramps but also for the migraine treatment before and after the hormonal cycle.

However, what is a girl to do without anti-inflammatories? The last time I slipped and used on (see my posts below) I was so sick I was vomiting blood (that sounds really bad... and I suppose it cant be good, but seriously was not as bad as it sounds). So, really, a no no now. Which means I end up juggling medication and often using too much just to get through it. So better off than with nothing, but this is a monthly battle and I need an effective strategy. I was thinking of doing the one where you take a triptan ahead of time and for a few days as a preventive strike, but will have to ask if the triptan I am using can be used so. The preferred one I have heard mention is Amerge... but unless I want continuous breathing problems not an option for me.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…