Skip to main content

Reasons to take Magnesium

My mom read an article on MVP and she thought it sounded just like me, and that I should take magnesium. I told her it had crossed my mind back in the day as well, and maybe I do. But even so, there are two other reasons to take magnesium: migraines and FMS. So I bought some and am starting slow and working my way up. I am hoping it will help with the muscles spasms at the least.


Reason One:

It looks like magnesium supplements may work as a migraine preventative and magnesium deficiency can cause migraines. Worth a shot.



Should You Be Taking Magnesium?
Two doubleblind studies have shown that magnesium supplementation may reduce the frequency of migraine. In research studies, we have found that magnesium levels affect serotonin receptors, and also have an effect on nitric oxide synthesis and release, as well as on NMDA receptors—all brain structures and chemicals suspected to be important in migraine. In small studies, both migraine and cluster headache patients have responded acutely to intravenous magnesium. In a larger double-blind controlled study, the treatment group, receiving 600mg of magnesium for a 12 week period, experienced a 41.6% reduction in headaches as compared to only 15.8% reduction in migraine headaches in the placebo group.-- The Daily Headache



Magnesium Deficiency & Migraines


Which leads to Reason Number 2- When you have a Fibromyalgia migraine combo platter you find a bit of an additional pattern. Often people with FMS are deficient in magnesium, simply because of the sleep disorders, less growth hormone, and there fore less magnesium.


Magnesium deficiency is therefore one of many problems in people with fibromyalgia which is due to or influenced by the sleep disturbance. So while it's possible to attain some benefit from taking magnesium, treating any sleep disorder is just as helpful, if not more so.

Magnesium is extremely important to many functions in the body, which is why a deficiency can cause many different symptoms. It is most widely known for being needed for proper bone formation. With a deficiency, bones will be soft, and it can play a role in osteoporosis However, magnesium is also the activating mineral for at least 350 different enzymes in the body, more than any other mineral, so it is crucial for many of the metabolic functions in the body. Magnesium is necessary for almost all the enzymes that allow the glycolytic and Krebs cycles to turn the sugar and fat we eat into ATP. Low levels of ATP have commonly been found in people with fibromyalgia, and it is believed that this plays an important role in many of the fibromyalgia symptoms. Thus, a magnesium deficiency would definitely be a factor in worsening those symptoms.

Magnesium is extremely necessary for proper ATP synthesis, because ATP is stored in the body as a combination of magnesium and ATP, which is known as MgATP. ATP requires magnesium in order to be stable. Without magnesium, ATP would easily break down into other components, ADP and inorganic phosphate.

The brain heavily relies ATP for many functions. In fact, 20% of total body ATP is located in the brain. Thus, low levels of ATP can diminish brain cognitive functions, a common problem in people with fibromyalgia.

Adequate magnesium is necessary for proper muscle functioning. Magnesium deficiency promotes excessive muscle tension, leading to muscle spasms, tics, restlessness, and twitches. This is due to an imbalance of the ratio of calcium to magnesium, as calcium controls contraction, while magnesium controls relaxation. Plus, in fibromyalgia, changes are seen in the muscles, such as "significantly lower than normal phosphocreatine and ATP levels" and "values for phosphorylation potential ... also were significantly reduced":Role of magnesium in FMS


>
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

Getting through the high intensity pain flares #Blogboost

The crowded me out of the brain. Making no room for anything else. Distraction was impossible. You feel almost frantic with the pain but must be still.

What do you do? To get through it when you have no distraction?

I ask me this as I am really in the depths of a 9 level frantic level of pain right now. Hoping maybe some writing will be a distraction, but it isn't. As I said, the pain crowds the brain. I have to focus real hard to write and my head isn't clear. Too much pain to focus well. Things become quite difficult to do. 

I will say this: We cannot function. We have to just cope with the pain.

But we are Immersed in the pain, we what do we do?
We can and should rest and get through it the best we can. Here are some of the things I do to get through it.

Relaxation breathing: I can't meditate when in high levels of pain. It just makes me think about how much pain I am in. Just not a good idea. But I do do relaxation breathing. I close my eyes. I focus on my breathing. I even…