Skip to main content

My neuro gave me drugs for Christmas!

Finally got to see my neuro. And as usually it was kind of a good/bad sort of deal. The good thing is that he is putting me Cymbalta in combination with the Lyrica. This is a darn good thing because I was quite worried he would take me off everything and start from scratch... which sounds like a good plan until I cannot function or work while he is messing around with them. It is also good that this particular drug is known to help with FMS as well... so a combo of the two that work for FMS and migraines, might just do it for both. *Crosses fingers*

The bad news is that the pain I have been having in my feet and wrists is not due to a side effect of Lyrica. He suspects, like my doc, that it is the FMS. Either a flare up, or nerve pain. This sucks because that means it is not going to go away on its own and is just that much more pain I have to deal with. Potentially this new drug might help with that.

Cymbalta has never been high on my list of meds to try for FMS or migraines, because it is an antidepressant and I've never had much luck with them. They seem to have some strong side effects with me, some that are downright frightening. But since the FMS pain is getting bad in its new and special way, it seems a med to target both is logical, especially since it is the FMS that helps makes my migraines as complicated as they are.

I really hope the combo helps decrease the frequency of these migraines because it is insanely hard to work with so many, insanely hard to do anything really. And damn draining too. I'm not asking for much... just a decrease enough to function better and not have to juggle meds everyday so I don't get rebound headaches.

I really like this neuro though. I think it is because he does get migraines, so he does understand what you are talking about and dealing with. That we have to be out in the world, there is no choice on that, but we get no awards for suffering while we do so.

So I am hoping for some positive result and few side effects. The main side effect I was warned about is dizziness and I think I can handle that... better than the less common ones of severe mood changes, seizures and the spontaneous desire to off yourself... like I need anything to make my moods more volatile.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…