Skip to main content

Day Ten of migraine treatment

Yesterday I experienced some wierd dizziness and vertigo all day and I know this is from the calcium channel blocker.  They always have some odd effect on my heart rate and blood pressure because they are designed for people with high blood pressure and mine has always been low or low normal.  Yesterday I clocked in at 108/65.  So that is a bit low, but not much lower than it usually is for me.  My heart rate was 85, and that is around where it usually is (wheras Inderal and other beta blockers make it go down to a fainting 50... but then those are not recommended for asthama)  So I figure once I finish the house work and spring cleaning assault I am engaged in I will chill for the last week, see if that helps a bit.

I am just doing some general house cleaning today, that maintence stuff.  Which is nice and mellow.  Also works for me because I have that nasty nerve pain in my feet again.  I am told this nerve pain could be from FMS (Yippeeee) or from the interesting relation between migraine triggers and FMS triggers, thus one amps up the pain of the other, which is possible given that is why my migraines are complicated and do not respond well to treatment.  That is a bit of a drag because while people can try going to a chiropractor or message therapy for migraines, it is not recommended for migraines with FMS since when treating FMS you have to be very careful not to make things worse.  Now for nerve pain, in my feet or wrists, there is literally nothing that can be done, except the exact same preventative meds for migraines because usually a preventative is set asside for migraines because it also works for nerve pain.  It is a real drag, as in I am always dragging my feet.  Yep, my bf calls me 'shuffles'.  Not like I am rushing to get anwhere anyway! 

Now for the real drag... I am not sure this treatment is actually doing what my neuro anticipated.  Not that it did not stop the status migraine, because it did, but it has not eliminated the migraines for the duration either, so not reseting my brain as he said.  I have been keeping track and not sure why I should bother because it looks like this:

Day 1- migraine all day, still status
Day 2- like day 1
Day 3- like day 1 & 2
Day 4- headache all day, very pulsing but not what I would call a migraine
Day 5- moderate migraine
Day 6- migraine, responded well to triptan, headache at night
Day 7- headache in evening, difficult to sleep
Day 8- 4am migraine 8 on my migraine scale, but responded well to triptan, went back to sleep and was gone when I woke
Day 9- headache at night.

Sooooo.... no pain free days in the head department.  Has there been an overall decrease in intensity, for sure.  Have I been able to function and get some things done, definately.  Is this due to the meds or the fact I am not forced to confront triggers all day with a migraine... no freakin idea, my friends.

I am still liking the idea of a chemically induced coma... wonder if my neuro would go for that?
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…