Improvement by 1% intervals

Sometimes in the workplace you have to endure these managment speals with their management lingo but occasionally something piques your interest.  Once such notion, which my office preaches but does not practice, is the 1% better policy.  You do not have to improve 100% off the get go, that would be impossible, self-defeating and overwhelming.  No, you just need to pick one thing and improve that.  Then pick another, and then another.  This does not apply to work, because they want 150% inprovement in all areas and they want it Now.... so very demanding and needy.  However, when it comes to making health improvements, gradual is best.

My 1% to improve my FMS has been starting to eat yogurt everyday to help ease the whole IBS.  The previous 1% being to vastly increase my fiber intake.  And now the IBS is well controlled in most non-migraine days.

My 1% with migraine control is adding vitamin D and magnesium suplaments.  My neuro said I should add the D, due to my fear of the sun and sun like objects.  Magnesium is one of those things that those with FMS need more off, plain and simple and really helps with the whole muscle spasm thing, but it is also very important for migraines.

None of these are huge dramatic changes.  Well I guess the eating fiber and yogurt is when you consider due to migraine related nausea and decrease in appitite I considered supper to be The meal of the day... so really adding food throughout the day is benificial on many fronts and took me a bit to get into the habit of.  Seriously, I needed to remind myself to eat and not eat for the pleasure of eating, but because of the potential benifits of what I was eating.

I have faced defeat many a time when trying to over do things.  Excersize being the biggie.  I have troubles with muscle fatigue but I can exersize... problem being the substantial pain it causes, then times 2 the next day and then lingering for about three more days.  I went bowling once and walked all gimpy for a week and that hurt like hell... and I like bowling dang it.  The problem with doctors when it comes to fibromyalgia anyway, is they are all about encouraging excersize and for very valid reasons; we stop doing things because things hurt, this leads to muscles literally withering away, and we can do even less.  What they don't tell you is that when they say 'exersize' when you have FMS they actually mean daily stretches... would have been nice if they told me that off the get go.  I find the Wii an awesome invention by the way... interactive gaming.  I expecially like the boxing as it makes me feel tough.  And I can do bowling on there and not feel all that no fun pain side effect.

So the challenge is finding one simple thing to add to your day and routine and habits that will benifit your health in some way.  When it becomes a habit, find another.  Which is why I am cleaning my house so thoroughly while I am off... nothing stresses a person more than having a long sucky pain filled day at work to come home and see all the things you can't get done.  So clean house means that I can just do a regular 'maintain' slowly from now on. 

You know who wins the race?  It ain't the bunny... its the turtle.  Slow and steady, my friends.
Post a Comment

I would love to just redirect you to the new site...

But sadly the redirect function doesn't function. I will continue to persist hitting it and see if it will eventually do something. Or s...