Stigma of migraine is significant; worse for those with chronic migraine

Stigma of migraine is significant; worse for those with chronic migraine

This article caught my eye for obvious reasons. I have faced that stigma... usually in the form of 'if you do such and such they would not be so bad'... in other words they might understand migraines, but not the imapirment involved in chronic migraines. It is the same with FMS... someone may understand muscle pain but not chronic pain plus the other problamatic symptoms. And that stigma is fustrating and isolating. They state it can lead to depression and anxiety and they are right... because we feel judged, misunderstood and alone. It also makes me feel angry... very angry. Maybe because I've been through all this before with Fibromyalgia which carries with it a hefty stigma on its own, causing me to minimilize its effects to everyone, including doctors and not mentioning it to employers or casual friends. I would do the same with migraines if I could... but they are a great deal harder to hide. Whatever. We should not have to suffer in silence. The reality is that this stigma can drastically effect someones life, including their ability to get or maintain employemtn.
Post a Comment

I would love to just redirect you to the new site...

But sadly the redirect function doesn't function. I will continue to persist hitting it and see if it will eventually do something. Or s...