Skip to main content

I'm alive...

The thing about the internet is that it sure makes suicide more dramatic. I rather think I wrote a fine suicide note all things considered. Made a fine attempt too.

I may have chronic pain but I am not depressed. Sometimes we handle the pain and sometimes it handles us. Sometimes it is easier not to think about it so it is not so real and endless. Sometimes while I am at work and that pain is arching through me I feel like weeping and have to choke back sobs.... is that depression or is that simply a reaction to being in pain and trying not to show it? Does it really matter? Is my invisible disability not as worthy as a visible disability or more known illness? hell, after all this time enduring is this even surprising or is it simply inevitable?

I got caught in one of those dangerous moments. Where I am not upset but I can't imagine or conceive of living a moment more of that agony. A very dangerous moment because it is easy to just do it then... and that is that... no second choices if you make the wrong choice in that small moment.

I had had a migraine since that Friday and it was a brutal one. I went to work because frankly work was not giving me any choices in the matter. The pain became so intense I could not sleep, which meant that migraine continued through the weekend. Usually I get a sense of profound relief when the weekend comes because even if I am in pain I have no demands placed on me and no facade to uphold (thus the lack of a social life). This time however I was tired, I just could not sleep and the pain continued. I had been stressed out about work and how they were not handling my invisible disability, thus proving the 'invisible' part.

So that week was bad from the get go. I was so drained I thought to myself why not take a lot of sleeping pills, which I know will not kill me, but if I was lucky I would get a nice coma. I may not be able to call in sick for a migraine... but surely a coma would count? I called in sick Wednesday because the pain was making me frantic... however just calling in sick and knowing I would have to deal with the consequences of that on my return was difficult to handle. Having taken all those sleeping pills, well I slept on in till 3pm and missed another day of work thus tripling my distress on having to handle that. That night having taken just my one sleeping pill, but being in too much pain to sleep I got up... that being my mistake right there... what can you do when you are in so much pain, can't get rid of it, can't sleep and have to get up and go to work in the morning? Well, apparently you try to kill yourself. I don't remember all that clearly. Just that I could not go to work and I knew work would not let me not go to work. I was too calm... maybe numb. Nothing much mattered at that point except ending that pain. It was like my brain had come to this inevitable conclusion that I had no will or desire to resist. Stuck in that moment of pain that clouds out everything else, eliminates all other possibilities. And I gave into its demands. And it was so easy to take that knife and make that pain end all the pain. And as I was bleeding I was thinking there it goes... finally I did something to finish it. Fortunately, my brother woke up and found me, took me to hospital and that is that.

I am not depressed, which sounds insane to say after such an attempt. I am just living in a lot of pain, trying to do what I should be doing and that can be too much for the best of us. So I survived. I have no intentions of trying again. Normally I would never consider such a final act that would cause so much pain to the people I love... but the power of that moment and that agony that seemed like it would stretch to eternity had me its it grip. Never underestimate the power of pain and its ability to take you out of the moment, until you are lost in it.

So I feel fine now. My wrists are a constant reminder of what I attempted. And I freaked out my entire family. And this all seems so extreme to have done such a thing because I could not imagine being able to work the next day or face the guilt of not working. Work is not worth it, people tell me. But work had power over me. The power to make me think I was failing. To make me feel guilty for being in too much pain to work. To make me worried I would lose my job and the guilt that would cause. To make me feel ashamed for being in pain, for being ill for not being up to par. What can I say? People dont think clearly when they are in pain. I don't know why my workplace would think I would endure that torment silently forever... something had to break, kinda wish it had not been me... I had a nice facade going on there.
5 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…