Skip to main content

Sigh... rant is now over

Back to the real world and real world concerns.  It is frustrating to have a chronic illness that is so limiting.  It forces me to look at everything I do and conform it to my physical well-being.  Which is, frankly, annoying.

A) Me:  what can I do to make me feel better?  Well, lots of little things.  We all try the little things, sometimes repeatedly.  For me massage therapy and a chiro are not a choice due to that finicky FMS that does not play well with the troublesome migraines.  Contrary.  What I do do is eat small meals all day, starting with a yogurt in the morning (yogurt is like a super digestive food that helps me lose weight for some reason) and I take a vitamin supplement of calcium, magnesium and vit D.  But then there are two bad habits that compromise my health that I need to boot: my diet coke addiction and my smoking.  I have decreased my diet coke intake with water and tea, but want to focus on the smoking first.  Do I think anything I do will cure me?  Hell no.  It is about teeny tiny improvements that make up the huge picture.  And since with my migraines being as chronic as they currently are, I can't tell if anything works, so I have do just assume they are doing something, even if just helps me feel like I am doing something.

B) The support team:  Chronic pain takes a team approach.  The doc, the neuro and anyone else you think helps.  In my case I am adding the shrink and will be going to a pain clinic.  Complementary treatments that I hope will help me with some coping.

C) To work or not to work?  I just don't know about this one yet.  I am all for finding something part time and/or doing volunteer work.  I just don't like the idea of giving up my job.  I figure I will be on the fence on this one.  I figure with a long term leave from work plus all the other work I will be doing to improve things may make me 'good enough' to work again.  At least give me a chance anyway.  Although it has sunk into my head that doing what is good for my health is better all around, so I will not stubbornly figure I need to work full time just because that is what I think I should do.

D) New routines: I have been feeling kind of lethargic this week.  I don't like doing nothing.  I have always thought with FMS pain anyway, that reducing what I do makes me unable to do more and makes me sluggish physically and mentally.  Obviously doing too much does not work either.  I need to set up a strict routine so that I do not succumb to this, because doing literally nothing all day is a sure fire way to get depressed.  I need to get up at the same time every day.  I need to focus on something, like housework.  I need to add some sort of activity, aka exercise, to replace the lack of work.

I have a huge migraine right now, so not the time to be planning much of anything.  Still, no rest for the wicked.
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

Getting through the high intensity pain flares #Blogboost

The crowded me out of the brain. Making no room for anything else. Distraction was impossible. You feel almost frantic with the pain but must be still.

What do you do? To get through it when you have no distraction?

I ask me this as I am really in the depths of a 9 level frantic level of pain right now. Hoping maybe some writing will be a distraction, but it isn't. As I said, the pain crowds the brain. I have to focus real hard to write and my head isn't clear. Too much pain to focus well. Things become quite difficult to do. 

I will say this: We cannot function. We have to just cope with the pain.

But we are Immersed in the pain, we what do we do?
We can and should rest and get through it the best we can. Here are some of the things I do to get through it.

Relaxation breathing: I can't meditate when in high levels of pain. It just makes me think about how much pain I am in. Just not a good idea. But I do do relaxation breathing. I close my eyes. I focus on my breathing. I even…