Skip to main content

FMS remission or cure?

My shrink made an off hand comment that I had never before heard, nor can I verify it via my googling abilities... she said Fibromyalgia disappears over time.  It floored me.  First of all, news to me.  Secondly, she had no verification and I don't think people, let alone shrinks, should be tossing statements like that around without solid referenced proof... it is called giving people false hope.  I said my FMS does not bother me much as long as I don't bother it, sure many of the symptoms flare up and cause a lot of trouble and sure I can't sleep normally if my life depended on it, but the pain is tolerable in comparison to the chronic migraines.  Pain is all relative after all.  That is not to say that the pain of FMS does not flare up like a sonofagun and can even make it difficult to walk or move my arms or wrists, but day to day, it is well within tolerable limits.

I cannot find any reference to FMS just going away.  I know there is no cure.  I know it can go into remission for years even, not that I have ever had that pleasure.  But just goes away as you get older?  How awesome would that be?  I guess one night I might just actually go to sleep, stay asleep, without twitching my muscles, wake up feeling awesome, not stiff or sore, suddenly have a normal digestive system, suddenly be able to exercise without instant muscle fatigue and pain, without the consequences of days of elevated pain... and if that happened, well, hell, I would be doing a happy dance all damn day.  Especially since my FMS triggers are migraine triggers, all that sensitivity to light, smell, touch, chemicals would just poof be gone and thus make the world way more migraine friendly.

So I wonder when this miracle day is supposed to come.  Unlike some people who develop FMS after an illness or accident (a jolt to the nervous system), I was symptomatic at 8 and by 18 had all the long list of symptoms and trigger points.  So well over two decades, might as well say my whole life really.  Maybe this will spontaneously hit when I am in my 70's, in which case I will likely not notice.

So on my next appointment I plan on flat out asking her for proof.  So that I might share this amazing study with others.  Since I have yet to meet anyone with FMS who has been in long, long term remission.
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…