Skip to main content

Label me not

Alright, I admit I do engage in a little sucidal ideation and, yeah, I did actual try to commit suicide but despite those rather obvious points I refuse to be labeled 'Depressed'. Naturally I can spit out some impressive rationlizations...

1) Coping is not a linear process with a beginning and an end, an end that sits us in 'acceptance' for the remainder of our chronic pain existence. It is a process which fluctuates, sometimes we stick in one stage longer than another, but we will never reach a perfect state of acceptance. Thusly, while I admit to being depressed sometimes, I would hardly say all the time.

2) Migraines affect mood. So while I may be melencholy prior to a migraine, or irrationally and extremely depressed while in a full blown acute migraine... when the migraine is gone the mood is gone. I also get hypomanic before a migraine, but no one would label me manic.

So nice rationalizations. Sometimes I impress myself with my own self denial. But really and truly I deny the label for two very valid reasons. The core reasons.

1) When I was young and undiagnosed with FMS I went to a doctor and said this pain was getting to me, plus I had all these unexplained symptoms that seemed to be rather adding up to something. He took one look at me. Woman. Young. Ergo... depressed. He put me on an antidepressant and sent me off. Well that antidepressant made me an emotional zombie. I slept all the time and only ate when someone dragged me out of bed, and as such lost a lot of weight. I missed my classes, my exams, and really did not care, except I knew I should care. Now I will admit I was depressed. All that undiagnosed pain and stresses got to me. So I know what depression is. I stopped that med. Did some cognative therapy on myself and totally defeated that depression... and, image this, the pain was still there! Wow. So I do not like the assumptions doctors make when they shove that label on someone, because for some wierd reason they think the depression came first and that caused the rest, when it is the exact opposite. They do not seem to consider they ought to treat the underlying condition, rather than the depression. In my mind there are a thousand ways to deal with depression caused my a chronic illness that do not involve medication.

2) My father has FMS and he had a nervous breakdown (I can relate to that, since we had the same reasons... hostile work enviroment). Now I don't know much of what happened with him there so I expect he had more reasons than I know of. Natually in such cases he was forced to see a shrink (and totally relate to that). They got the entire family together for a group session which was brutal. They implied he was depressed in truth and did not have FMS at all (because a shrink would know?) and seemed to convinced him of the same. I was totally insulted and disgusted with the whole thing. Strangely enough my father tried to commit suicide a few times after his oh so not awesome shrikage treatments (um, apple did not fall far from the tree there, eh?) I can relate to his suffering and I know what we all go through, but sometimes I swear shrinks are just plain dumber than dirt.

Since my depression when I was younger (18-20) was profound and pretty easy to accept and understand. I certainly did not deny it then. I certainly did not get any help from doctors or shrinks. I remember that time vividly. And I do not feel like that now. So I still have trouble with that dang label... unless it was more 'episodic depression depending on pain levels'.

Nevertheless, I have to acknowledge the facts. Most people do not deeply desire to have a stroke when they get an acute migraine because a stroke would be a valid reason to miss work. I quite aware that it is not normal to feel that way. I can accept the facts, the habitual thought patterns and the negative behaviours and I can work to change those to tweek the old coping skills a wee bit. So I can deny the label and still modify my behaviours. But I swear, if people start to say if I were not depressed I would not be in so much pain I will throttle them. I get enough with the if you only changed your lifestyle completely you would feel better crap (which I also do not deny, but things are far more complex than Those People think).

Now that I got that out of my system I will follow this post later with a little cognative therapy bit that helps all of us that are depressed, indulge in some sucidial ideation, pray for a heart attack, but not really depressed depressed, or actually depressed depressed. :)
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…