Skip to main content

We need distraction

The theme of the October 2010 Headache & Migraine Disease Blog Carnival carnival will be "How do your hobbies help you cope with your headache disorder?"

Most people go through their day and are free in moments of silence to contemplate, ponder, worry and regret without the risk of these causing depression or suicidal tendancies.  Those of us with chronic pain really should worry about any lingering moment of silence by ourselves because thinking about pain, our future in pain and our past while in pain is really a bad idea... because, rather depressing.  So how do we avoid reality?  Many things.  Work- if you can.  Socialize- if you can.  Exersize- if you can.  Anything to fill in any moment of the day really.  One of the best things because it is relaxing as well as distracting is finding a hobby to engross yourself in.  Something that will consume any portion of the day you have left to yourself. 

My favorite hobby is creative writing because it has that element of escapism added with its distracting me from reality element.  I can for a moment lock myself in a world of my own creation and torment my poor characters, who are in the end better for their trials.  This hobby requires a great deal of thought and there is that sense of satisfaction and self worth in completing a novel that reminds me I am still capable of some things.  So hobbies can help with that sense of self worth.

Some people consider reading a hobby and the amount of time I spend reading it might as well be.  The benifits to reading are both distraction and escapism.  You can escape into a different world and for a moment forget about this one.

Maybe even blogging is a hobby and if it can be said to be, then I recommend it as well.  In this case it is a distraction, but it is also a way to connect with others in areas that interest you.  So in that sense you are more engaged.  You can also blog about your health and this is both cathartic, since writing about your emotions and fustrations is one way to express yourself, get it out of your system and that is a great stress relief. 

Now most of my hobbies are at home and solitary but certainly there is a benifit to hobbies that connect you with the world.  Making youself stay connected with other people and engaged are vital to being human.  In that sense if you cannot work or are retired you need something to fill that void.

So to recap:

  • Distracting yourself is very important.  Avoid thinking at all costs.
  • A little escapism never hurt nobody.
  • Creativity in all forms helps you express yourself and relieve emotional tenstion.
  • Connecting with others with similar interests is a way to stay engaged with the outside world.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…