Skip to main content

How to save money when you're gimpy

Well, being on leave from work means my income has gone down 25% so far, and more if I am off much longer.  This has made a dent in the old bank book, as in a big monthly negative dent.

1) Create a new budget: Obviously you still need to pay debts, unfortunately obviously, so those must remain in a buget, unless you want to get called incessently from collective agencies.  So you need to chop the other expenses such as groceries and entertainment. 
         a) With groceries, you don't want to stop eating, as that would be conterproductive to surviving your gimpiness.  And many of us have dietary habits that are not cheap... you try buying something without MSG.  So basically it is a matter of going back to basics.  Cut out all the crap really.  The chips, the cookies, the yum yums.  Take advantage of things on sale or cheap brands rather than your fav brand.  Take advantage of coupons, even though, man, they are annoying.
         b) You can essentially cut out all entertaiment.  If your a gimpy hermit, you likely don't have much expenses here anyway.  Although how people expect you to go to yoga or swim classes or anything else when your broke is beyond me... but then again, is that really 'entertainment'
         c) Quit smoking and/or gambling and/or any other expensive vice.

2) Preserve instead of purchase: in the need to save funds don't buy any new anything.  Keep on wearing what your wearing and eventually it will come back into style.  Re-read books instead of getting new ones or borrow books from friends or start reading the backs of ceral boxes. 

3) Only choose hobbies that require no money or ones that, even better, make money.  Things like taking long walks to nowhere and watching things and meditating about the nothingness you are now surrounded with.

4) Recycle and sell:  Recyling can get you a wee bit of return on your consumption of pop or booze.  And you can start selling off your crap on Ebay, or at the local pawn shop.  If you are a hoarder, this will pull in some serious dollars and pennies.

5) Consider your housing... have you ever thought about living in a tent?  I bet it would be cool.  or have you ever thought of renting out any rooms you have in your house to random people?  I bet that would be freaky, but make you some moola.

6) Consider your bills:  Seriously, how hot does the house have to be when you can wrap yourself in sweaters and blankets?  Think about not flushing the toilet all the time or showering every second day.  And if you are photosensative, then remember, you don't need any light in the house during the day and very little if any at night.
5 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…