Yet another drug to add to the cocktail

My neuro has added another medication to the ever growing list.  So now my preventatives are Lyrica, Verapamil ( A calcium channel blocker), and now Amitriptyline (An antidepressant).  Not that Amitriptyline is new to me... way back in the day it was one of my first non-effective preventatives.  He wants to try it with the others and maybe it will help me sleep some as well.

I have to wonder why some people have chronic migraines rather than occassional ones.  There are more of us out there than one might think.  People are always asking me if doctors know why I get so many migraines.  And how should they or I know?  Not caffiene though, that I can say for sure.  Might be genetics, combined with sleep deprivation, combined with FMS and its photosensativity issues.  Yet, then others with chronic migraines would have other underlying conditions and I am not sure that is the case at all, although it might be in some.  So I do wonder why I am afflicted with so very many migraines such that having a migraine is more normal than not.  Makes me wonder if the whole world is a dang migraine trigger for me.  or like my brain is constantly surging with little mini seizures.  It is strange that a neuro would not have a theory why some people get these chronically.

No matter the cause, if there is one specific cause, the fact remains chronic migraines are difficult to treat.  You try one medication and it is really hard to say if it is doing anything when the migraines are still chronic.  Sometimes I think they are slightly less than usual or slightly less intense, but no dramatic difference at all.  I wonder if there ever will be.  If a med is considered to be effective at a 50% reduction of migraines, then in the end I am still left with chronic migraines.

So we try all these prevenatives and if one seems to have some sort of positive effect we keep it and add to it.  Now I have three.  And I wonder if my brain even remembers what its normal non-drugged up state is.  And I wonder if it would be a good idea to stop all medications, see how things really are and then add them back in slowly to see if there is any real difference.  I do vaguely remember what it was like without a preventative med... it was a lot more throwing up and a lot more sudden blinding auras... so some preventatives seem to help with some of the symptoms of the migraines... just not that pesky pain symptom.  or that could just be the migraine pattern shifting since in replacement of those symptoms I now get a lot more ringing in the ears, hearing loss and permanent visual snow auras, balance problems, virtigo and Alice in Wonderland Syndrome.

So I am still left with wondering why they are chronic and why all these meds that are supposed to work simply do not.  If migraines are caused by excited neural activity then why can't they just dope me up with something that severely dampens that activity?  Sure, I would be dumb as dirt, but there would also be no pain.
Post a Comment

I would love to just redirect you to the new site...

But sadly the redirect function doesn't function. I will continue to persist hitting it and see if it will eventually do something. Or s...