Skip to main content

Deafeated the migraine but not the brainless part

I had a wicked migraine kick in at around 12am today, at work, which just a joy.  It started with some vertigo that made me feel like I was about to topple out of my chair then about half hour later full blown migraine beast.  So I treated with my triptan and a tramacet, which effectively knocked down the pain to minimal.  Unfortunately it made me feel even more sluggish and did not kick that brain in gear at all.  So I spent the whole day confused at why the wrong key did not open door or start car, forgetting the day and month for every application, forgetting what I was saying while I was saying it combined with a bonus of word forgetting or randomly using words that sound similar to what I meant but really, really do not mean the same thing.  Plus the vertigo really did not go away.  If I looked at the ground part of it appeared to be going one way and the other part the opposite, which makes a person feel dizzy since the floor does not generally move.  Consequently it was hard to focus on anything because it shifted and moved.  Plus a little hard to walk in a straight line.  And a little double vision just for fun.

Really one of those days that reminds you migraine pain is but one symptom of a migraine and if you can and do treat it effectively, sometimes the other stuff just keeps on going.  Sure does make things interesting.  However, this three preventative combo is definitely doing something... it was hard to say at first given my return to full time work means return to daily migraines.  And it does seem the hormonal migraines are still wickedly horrific.  But I have had at least one day a week without a migraine at all (not including the week or more of hormonal migraine hell)... which does not sound all that good but for my mood it is a damned heavenly break, and it is also a break from taking triptans and/or painkillers.

One of my new co-workers mentioned her husband gets about three migraines a month... and takes nada.  He just goes to sleep right away and kicks it.  And we all know sleep is a great way to kick a migraine.  Unfortunately work rather prevents that possibility.  Still, I felt sorry for the fellow since he has nothing to take if the sleep it off method does not work or is not possible.  Personally I would rather bash my head in with a frying pan than suffer through an acute migraine without my awesome abortive medication.  Sure it does not always work 100% or all day and I can only use it approximately three times a week... but it sure does work way, way better than any painkiller out there.  Who knows why he does so but it could be the general man loathing for doctors or a doctor who is an ass-hat, either or.

So this is now my work pattern; triptan, triptan, triptan, painkiller, painkiller, suffer thru it, suffer thru it.  You see I use weekends as not medication day to prevent rebounding.  So far this pattern hold because every Monday is migraine Monday, which starts the week with a blast.
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…