Skip to main content

Relationships with others

This month in WEGO health blogging is our health and relationships, specifically:

Your condition vs. yourself

Your condition vs. your love life
Your condition vs. your family
Your condition vs. the day-to-day
Your condition vs. technology
Your condition vs. misconception


Your condition vs. yourself - I do tend to focus on this one quite a bit.  That inner battle we face constantly.  That love hate relationship with our bodies.  When I am optimistic there is nothing I won't do to improve the quality of life I can have, but when that does not give me much of a life my pessimisim eradicates all my efforts pretty darn fast.  Life itself becomes a bit of a challenge and I think as a result we are more introspective, but that can also mean far more self-critical.  In otherwords, it is a very delicate balance.


Your condition vs. your love life - I am fortunate here since I have been in a long term relationship going on fourteen years now.  One that I was already in when I was diagnosed with FMS and then later when the migraines became chronic.  Now it could have gone either way.  He might have felt that my increasing lack of health and hermit tendencies held him back and maybe he would begin to resent that.  Or the guilt of not being able to pull my weight might have made me run.  But we stuck through it, but it is not without its price.  it is not easy on either party really and I find I try not to disclose the blunt truths of my health to him because he cannot do anything about it and best not to have him worry.  Many relationships break under the strain and like with all other facets of our lives we must make compramises because of our health.  Fact is, no one is healthy forever therefore health problems that occur are just another stressor on a relationship, like many other things.  If I were not in a relationship, however, and just in that dating stage I am not sure I would diclose my health issues right away, in fact, I would be tempted to hide them altogether like it is some sort of weakness or something.  Knowing this, if I were single, I likely would choose not to get into a serious relationship.

Your condition vs. your family -When we think of the price of chronic illness and pain we cannot forget the toll it takes on loved ones. Life is not a solitary activity and every life touches others in ways we can never completely know. Likewise suffering touches all those around us. I remember when my little brother had cancer and then when my spouse I felt an intense fear for their lives, but even more than that I hated seeing their pain and would have done anything to take it for them. And perhaps it is hard to see but others feel the same with my suffering. They likely feel the very same loss of control, being unable to take away my pain and don't know what to do or say to make it better.  The problem is trying to maintain a connection to family and friends.  Being a loner at heart I do not need as much human attention as most people do need which means it is all to easy to let family and friends drift away, without my realizing how much time has passed or how to correct the rift.  It takes a lot of energy to maintain this sort of relationship, or at least it takes a lot of energy to be a good friend to others and it seems I fall short on that side of things.  It is easier to maintain friendships with people that understand contact and socializations with me will be sporadic at best.  Nevertheless, it is a fundamental aspect to our well-being and we need to maintain those connections.



Your condition vs. the day-to-day - I'd call this coping.  Getting through the day for work and home is part balance and part distraction.  We need to have balance and to know when we are pushing beyond our limits, to understand what our limits are and still manage to get all the things done we need to do.  Such necessities as work require enough distraction to keep our focus off the physical health so we can get through the day.
  And I get through the week day by day trying to not dwell on the past or think on the future.
Your condition vs. technology -  I'm not sure all the electronic technology is on our side really.  With all the studies on Wifi, cell phone towers, cell phones and electromagnetic energy... sounds to me like it is not all that migraine or fibro friendly.  Nor is working at the computer all day under floresent lights.

Your condition vs. misconception -  Ah, the stigma how I hate it.  I don't mention fibromyalgia to anyone really because what people know about it is very little and it is often mocked as a psudo disease that enables people to go onto disibility rather than the complex syndrome it is.  So if I explain my health condition I tend to explain the syndrome first and then add the name.  With migraines it is a different story.  Many people understand what a migraine is, but cannot comprehend how I can function with chronic ones... because they cannot understand the process we all go through to cope with chronic pain such that we tolerate a great deal of pain regularly and only have a hard time hiding or functioning with worse pain.  I find it odd that people think that just because I am ill I should act sick all the time and all 'woe is me'.  That somehow laughing, which is a great way to mask the pain as less than it is, suggests I am not in pain at all.  Then I have strong issue with employers and work insurance companies that define disability as an obvious physical impairment such that pain itself is not a disability, which means it does not qualify for long term leaves of absence or any real effort on the employers part to compramise with work conditions... it is all or nothing with them.


Yes, we do not live in isolation... we always live in relation to others, our enviroment and our society.  Every single one of those is changed by chronic illness in ways that even we do not always see the effects and consequences.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…