Skip to main content

Drugged driving

I was watching Dr. Oz a couple days ago, because sometimes I like to pretend to pick up healthy habits.  Anyway, he was discussing drugged driving... something that is becoming a rising concern given the amount of prescription drugs we take.  It is a hot button topic for chronic migraine sufferers when there have been cases of people with treated migraines being changed with DUI.  Because it means Driving Under the Influence, which can include medication, which does include pretty much everything we take to abort a migraine.  And people also say we should not drive while having a migraine.  Thus, we should not drive at all.  Honestly, when you think about it, that is quite true. 

The police officer on Dr. Oz, and this would differ in Canada and various states, someone can be charged with a DUI, lose their license, get fined and have their car towed.  For using prescription drugs that we are taking as prescribed.  Some that were mentioned where blood pressure meds and anti-depressants, which are two migraine preventatives, both of which I am currently on, plus an anti-seizure med.  The problem with some of these meds is the sedation aspect, may cause drowsiness which effectively slows reaction time.  Not in all people of course.  And it does not say on the script not to drive.  Nor do our doctors tell us we cannot drive.  So that sucks for anyone charged with a drugged DUI for prescription meds, since apparently doing as our doctor said is not an excuse, nor is ignorance and nor is our personal idea of impairment.

I have had concerns over this myself, but there is no alternative transportation where I live, so I drive to work, but never anywhere else.  Obviously my doctor has not said I could not, even when I brought it up.  Nor has any pharmacist expressed concerns over a particular med, or the combination of them.  But you know, my reaction time could be affected without my being aware of it.  Since I live with moderate pain, it is only severe pain that concerns me.  And unanticipated side effects are only a concern while I am getting used to a medication.  And really when it comes down to it having a full blown acute migraine and driving seems to be far more dangerous than having a treated one and driving.  Think of how impaired we can get neurologically from a migraine, not even counting the pain... asside from the visual issues there are huge issues with clarity of thinking and reaction time.  However, migraine or not, our actual preventatives, which we may not notice a change to reaction time given we take them every day, could be counted as impairing us.  Sure would be a good thing to know.

I also tend to trust my doctors judgement over and above my own.  I don't make the decisions, or I would not be working or driving.  He has the power.  Yet, I would be the one suffering the consequences.  And sure as hell do not drink and drive, yet everyone seems to think it is fine when I have more than fifteen migraines a month, that I treat, and three different preventatives.  Most unfortunately is that since I do have to work, which does suck, and am not considered disabled and unable to work, the one form of alternative transportation open to people with disabilities is not an option.  Is it right that I must always in all aspects of this life live by other people standards of 'not sick enough'?  Tell me I have a disability and help me accommodate it, instead of bickering on what is a real disability and what is not.  If we are to be considered legally liable for driving under the influence, then there ought to be a way to help us get around.  And since these are prescription medications that we take on a regular basis shouldn't our doctors be legally obliged to state we cannot drive instead of making us guess?  I mean, if someone gets severe seizures they cannot drive, so for a chronic condition that might impair our reaction time, plus medications, plus combining medications, shouldn't there be guidelines for a doctor to follow?  It sucks that we are in this gray zone where people cannot even make up their minds about whether we have a disability or not, let alone thinking about how difficult that condition makes our every day living.
3 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…