Skip to main content

I hate scary side effects

I have had a long history of having issues with triptan abortives.  Shortness of breath and chest pains mostly.  At one time a doctor of mine took me off all abortives and put me on a super strong anti-inflammatory instead, which led to some serious stomach side effects, a short term leave of absence and the inability to ever take any sort of anti-inflammatory again.  Not a fun time.  So I am always reluctant to mention any adverse side effects because a triptan abortive is not an option, it is a necessity.  If I did not have that medication to treat an acute migraine I would be physically incapble of working... no debate about it.  However, since whether or not to call someone with chronic pain 'disabled' means we either continue to work or we quit and starve, it means we have to have any and all treatments available at any given time to get through the day.  Triptans are the only medication that can treat an acute migraine.  I have never been on a pain killer that does the trick and enables me to function, because pain killers are just there to decrease the pain, not get rid of the migraine or any other migraine symptoms.  The only reason some of us have pain killers is because our migraines are so frequent that we get more migraines than can be treated by triptans (as in max triptan use is three a week).

So if I mention that they bother me I run the risk of not getting them, which means I will have to try and function through far more pain and work and I know that is not possible for very long.  I've tried it numerous times and it just cannot be done.  Unfortunately the more times I use a triptan in a week the more worrisome the symptoms become.  I used my triptan three times last week and three times this week.  After the first three times I began to have shortness of breath, then this week it moved on to that fluttering, skippy heart beat that lasts for a few minutes, goes away, then comes back.  I ignore it.  I ignore it even when I start to get an ache in my chest.  I do think however that the last time I passed out, and my heart had been doing that butterfly flutter bit, it was due to the triptan.  So it is possible that might happen again.  Sometimes I think I should warn my spouse or co-workers, just so that if I do pass out they will know the cause and if an ambulance is called they will know the cause.  But I can't mention it without sounding way too dramatic. God forbid I sound dramatic, eh? Can't have that. But I know the bad symptoms over the normal triptan side effects so I can wait and see... and if it does get bad I can wait and see if it goes away and take more asthma medication as needed.

The side effect concerns me.  But the triptans get rid of some serious migraines which gets me through the day.  And the side effect does not overly concern me because, hell, if they gave me a heart attack, at least I would ger a vacation from work.  My neuro was seriously concerned over these side effects... he said breathing was more important that migraines.  I just don't agree sometimes.  If I can breath enough then who cares?  And I don't think anything serious will happen from a bit of an asthma reaction and a fluttering heart.... at the most passing out for a few minutes.  it is the sort of think I consider when taking the triptan.  First, I try not to take them two days in a row.  Secondly, I am not comfortable taking them in a work setting and would prefer to take them at lunch, lie down for a bit, and hope that gets through the side effects.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

Getting through the high intensity pain flares #Blogboost

The crowded me out of the brain. Making no room for anything else. Distraction was impossible. You feel almost frantic with the pain but must be still.

What do you do? To get through it when you have no distraction?

I ask me this as I am really in the depths of a 9 level frantic level of pain right now. Hoping maybe some writing will be a distraction, but it isn't. As I said, the pain crowds the brain. I have to focus real hard to write and my head isn't clear. Too much pain to focus well. Things become quite difficult to do. 

I will say this: We cannot function. We have to just cope with the pain.

But we are Immersed in the pain, we what do we do?
We can and should rest and get through it the best we can. Here are some of the things I do to get through it.

Relaxation breathing: I can't meditate when in high levels of pain. It just makes me think about how much pain I am in. Just not a good idea. But I do do relaxation breathing. I close my eyes. I focus on my breathing. I even…