Skip to main content

Finally! Some Awesome news about Triggers

I cringe every time someone asks what my migraine triggers are.  I get migraines more than not, quite a bit more... so I think a good response is 'Existence', 'Working' or 'You'.  All fine answers depending on the person.  Worst of all are the people that tell Us what we should Not do because it is likely the cause of all our migraines.  Because clearly we all have exactly the same brain... so obviously we all have exactly the same triggers?  Quite frankly I don't care if they are right... I just don't think they have a right to tell me what to do about my health.  I don't go around telling people their donut habit is triggering their fatness (last thing I need is someone telling me eating chocolate cheesecake is not only causing my migraines but also causing a weight issue).  Or that beer is triggering their morning nausea problem. Or their stupidity is triggering my slapping them in the face problem.  We all have things we could change to improve our health and it is just not polite to tell others what they should do, for a problem they have never experienced while ignoring the fact they have their own damned problems.  I'm just saying.  That ranks up there on the top ten things I hate people say about my migraines.

On to the topic though.  I have given up caffiene because I heard it can trigger migraines and my doctor recommended it.  So I did.  It made no difference.  One difference it made was to shut up all the damned people who kept telling it was clearly the cause of my migraines. I'm not really sure if it did anything else since migraine pattern frequency remained as it is.  Too bad, it would have been nice to have them reduced from such a simple thing. I had a neuro once who told me once my hypothyroidism was treated my migraines would be substantially reduced, but he was wrong as well.  Triggers are tricky and numerous.

Here is an interesting read about food triggers. migraine.com- Food triggers and Elimination diets I've been meaning to try an elimination diet but my doctors have never recommended it and, in my case, it would have to be monitored by them.

Now on to the awesome news: Chocolate is not a migraine Trigger!  Yay!  Okay, less of one. The Good news about Chocolate  For me chocolate is not a migraine trigger, but in that first stage of a migraine it is something I crave.
"We concluded that people may be eating chocolate in response to other migraine triggers, like skipping meals, stress, and menses, and then falsely blaming the chocolate for triggering a headache. Chocolate eating can also be a response to cravings that often occur at the first stages of a migraine that has already started. While chocolate may indeed be a trigger for some people, it’s probably not a common trigger as had been previously believed."


3 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…