Skip to main content

Off the chart migraine pain at work...

These days I usually develop a migraine right around 1 pm and I am already at work so I treat it as best I can and carry on.  Sometimes I get full blown acute migraines in the morning, of which I am far more likely to call in sick from because the motivation to move is really not there.  Today I woke up groggy and stupid, running late for work with a slight ache in my head.  I had an acute migraine yesterday, but well into the evening and it responded quite well to my triptan.  But my lungs and heart did not respond so well to that triptan, so I have those achy chest pains and naggy breathing issues that likely compramised my sleep.  But I got to work fine.  I got through the first hour or two fine.  Then one of those horrific monster migraines hit.  So intense I could barely take it.  When I drove back to work after lunch it was so insanely painful, the slowing down and speeding up.  I should not have been driving but I took my triptan and I could not exactly not go back to work... that is frowned upon.  The triptan did absolutely nothing.  I could barely move my head let alone think.  So I took a tramacet just to dampen the pain enough to tolerate moving my head... it still hurt like hell and movement was still sharply painful but just better enough.  It made the day very, very long.  I got a bad case of the yawns, as my brain really just wanted to hide in a nice dark place and sleep.  The pain roared right back up a couple hours later and needed another pain killer just to get through the day.  Then another when i got home.  Thankfully it has gone down from a 9 to a 7 and I can handle a 7, expecially since tommorow is Friday.  I really, really never want to have to work in that much pain again.  I mean there are good pain days, once in awhile, and there are bad pain days, most of the time... and then there are nightmare intense pain days.

It doesn't help that I have taken my triptan two days in a row, thus aggravating those nasty side effects that make me need to take my inhaler... but, by the way, I would rather have some moderate breathing issues at work than an acute migraine.  I have a desk job, I don't need to breath all that well to sit there.  Obviously it is a concern and maybe I will reluctantly mention it whenever I get a hold of my neuro, but only if I am confident he will put me on a different triptan.  Anyways, can't take my triptan tommorow or those unpleasant side effects will become an issue all on their own.  So I damn well hope this migraine kicks it tonight... or I am going to see how many pain killers I can take and still have half a brain left over to work.  Today the pain itself made consentration very difficult, but once I knocked it down a tad I was amazed I was able to focus on my customers clearly enough to understand what they are saying.  It is astonishing how much pain we can handle when we feel like we need to... but only if we feel like it will go away soon.  A few days of a migraine like that and I would contemplate knocking myself unconcious with a hammer.

I had a grusome thought at lunch time while I was building up the courage to go back to work.  I remember this silience of the lambs movie, the third I believe, where lector has this captive and he cuts off the top of his skull, exposing the brain... and because the brain itself has no nerves he cuts out parts, fries them up and feeds them back to the victim.  nasty image.... but I would contemplate self brain surgery to cut out wherever a migraine starts.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

Getting through the high intensity pain flares #Blogboost

The crowded me out of the brain. Making no room for anything else. Distraction was impossible. You feel almost frantic with the pain but must be still.

What do you do? To get through it when you have no distraction?

I ask me this as I am really in the depths of a 9 level frantic level of pain right now. Hoping maybe some writing will be a distraction, but it isn't. As I said, the pain crowds the brain. I have to focus real hard to write and my head isn't clear. Too much pain to focus well. Things become quite difficult to do. 

I will say this: We cannot function. We have to just cope with the pain.

But we are Immersed in the pain, we what do we do?
We can and should rest and get through it the best we can. Here are some of the things I do to get through it.

Relaxation breathing: I can't meditate when in high levels of pain. It just makes me think about how much pain I am in. Just not a good idea. But I do do relaxation breathing. I close my eyes. I focus on my breathing. I even…