Skip to main content

Migraine Awareness Month Blogging Challenge #2: Tea for Two.... But who?

If you could invite someone (any living person) to your home for tea for the purpose of explaining Migraine disease to them so they would truly understand it, who would it be and why?.
 While I am thinking about this I have a migraine, so I'm a bit thinking impaired at the moment.  How about Ellen or John Stewart?  I love their shows so maybe that would be a good choice.  I don't know though.  Unless our conversation was awesome and they went on to bring more awareness then I don't think I should be chatting up famous people.  Although I think Ellen would be my second choice.

I suppose the first person who comes to mind is the manager at the office I recently worked at prior to being transferred last month.  I think the reason I would choose her is because I still harbour a great deal of frustration and anger over how she treated me the past seven years.  It would be great to not only finally get her to understand the complexity of chronic migraines and the treatment of them but for her to understand the profound impact her treatment caused on me emotionally and mentally.  There was a time I felt confidence I could have some semblance of a career while coping with fibromyalgia and chronic migraines, with the hope the chronic migraines would eventually be managed somewhat.  Anyway, I had no idea the stress and amount of guilt an employer could cause in addition to the stress and guilt we already endure such that my confidence and self-worth was slowly destroyed.  Took five years but she did it.  Made me feel guilty about being ill and somehow to blame for it.  She literally told me I was letting down my customers, my co-workers and myself... as though I had a choice.  Not to mention the threats of being fired or laid of or demoted, mind you I was demoted a few times.  Over the years when medications failed or doctors took me off triptans she would get worse and paint me into a corner with threats.  It is a full time position, in office, no accommodation available... and so on.  She would constantly mention my sick days, even though they were acceptable to the insurance company.  She treated me like I had a choice about those sick days, like I was just not coming into work for the fun of it.  Like I didn't work every damn day with a migraine as it was and it had to be a significantly worse one for me to miss work. Usually my doctors would put me on short term leave when things got real bad, but that never did a damn thing and made my work situation worse.  Point is, five years into my job she said if I missed one more day I would be demoted and that position I knew would be worse for my migraines and easier to lay me off and I knew if I went on short term leave things would get significantly worse... so I tried to tough it out. And then came a status migraine, which lasted a long time, I ended up not being able to sleep at all and got really emotionally stressed.  One thing led to another and I tried to kill myself. I didn't succeed (obviously) and it led to another short term leave of absence but nothing else changed. It was a profoundly significant event for me, but literally nothing changed work wise or medical treatment wise.

So yeah, I'd like to invite her to tea and have a little chat about how to treat people with disabilities and consequences of your actions.  Not to say she is to blame for anything, only that she does not comprehend how her treatment of people has consequences.  Her misconceptions about chronic migraines led her to believe to some degree my condition was in fact my fault and that if only I did 'whatever' I wouldn't have the problem. Over the years she has given me a great deal of 'advice' on what I should do by the way.  She also told me once that I should stop taking all my medication because maybe being on it all was the problem even though all those medications makes it possible for me to work 90% of the time with migraines... because you can't work with acute migraines all the time now can you?  Those meds do something just not enough.  And using her fake sympathy to then make me feel guilty about being sick is a loathsome thing to do.  I get that corporations see us as a liability and they will try to get rid of us, sometimes using horrible tactics to do so, but if they want to use emotional warfare then I would want them to know every aspect of chronic migraines from all the neurological aura symptoms, to how many migraines I get, to how crippled I am by the pain, to how many medications I have to take and how very carefully I have to balance them and to how much pain I just have to deal with because I can't take too much medication and most definitely I would like them to know how their threats and attitude can affect my fragile coping strategies when I'm battling an out of control status migraine.  A good work environment, a little accommodation, some motivation and just some simple empathy when you are talking to someone who is suffering a great deal is just worth so damn much.  When I think about how much power she had over me and how horrible she made me feel about myself I cringe.  I felt like such a horrible person every time I called in sick for a migraine.  Like I was failing everybody and I always felt such anxiety about going into work the next day because of it.

 I would want her to understand the entire impact of chronic migraines and, also, her impact on me by being so manipulative.  Hopefully then another like me would not suffer so under her management, and maybe, just maybe we could work with the company to do a little something about their lack of policy in regards to communicating and assisting people with invisible disabilities and their lack of showing managers how to communicate with employees with such conditions.  It is hard enough to work full time in this much pain, we don't need such morons to make it a harder burden than it already is.



National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

Getting through the high intensity pain flares #Blogboost

The crowded me out of the brain. Making no room for anything else. Distraction was impossible. You feel almost frantic with the pain but must be still.

What do you do? To get through it when you have no distraction?

I ask me this as I am really in the depths of a 9 level frantic level of pain right now. Hoping maybe some writing will be a distraction, but it isn't. As I said, the pain crowds the brain. I have to focus real hard to write and my head isn't clear. Too much pain to focus well. Things become quite difficult to do. 

I will say this: We cannot function. We have to just cope with the pain.

But we are Immersed in the pain, we what do we do?
We can and should rest and get through it the best we can. Here are some of the things I do to get through it.

Relaxation breathing: I can't meditate when in high levels of pain. It just makes me think about how much pain I am in. Just not a good idea. But I do do relaxation breathing. I close my eyes. I focus on my breathing. I even…