Migraine Awareness Month Blogging Challenge #11: "Say what?!"


What's the most ridiculous thing ever said to you about Migraines, who said it, and under what circumstances?
Gee.  That is a long list but for some reason my brain is stalling on the details.  It's like one of those job interview questions where you have plenty of answers but then when it comes to it not one example comes to mind because at that precise moment you have a migraine and the potential employer has open blinds behind him and the light glaring and the horizontal blind lines are warping and moving causing your brain to just faulter.  Like that.

I do recall an ER incident that stands out because it was one of those incidents where you realize you know more than most doctors about migraines... and that's not a bloody good thing.  I went in for a statu migraine fully expecting to not get proper treatment as per usual but as per usual I was desperate... likely on day five or six by that point.  Hormonal migraine triggers cause a spike in migraine activity for me, causing a given three day acute migraine which then when I go to work and have all that fun and then don't get enough sleep, and repeat, tend to cause them to... linger.  Or sometimes to just go off the charts in pain, which as I recall this one was, so I was having a difficult time conversing.  So this young fellow comes in and asks me what symptoms I'm having and so I go through them and one of them happened to be hearing loss on the left side... it had just gone out for the last day or so and been replaced with a nice high pitched squeal and every.  And a sort of numb tingling down that side of the face.  And other such things.  And he asked me 'and is that a normal migraine aura then?'  I just sort of looked at him for a long stunned moment and wanted to yell at him to go Google it or go get his effing text book, but obviously hearing loss is a wierd one so I said not normal per sa but it happens occasionally.  It just took me off guard I guess because I just expect them to know.  But you know what was nice about that young fellow is that he didn't have all the hang ups all the other doctors do about pain killers and actually gave me something to manage the pain (percocet I believe) and I was able to go home and actually sleep which did me a world of good.

Which brings to mind another doctor story... I was getting daily migraines when I first left school and entered the full time work force because I chose a job that required shift work, which unfortunately caused my fibro poor sleep cycle to become even worse and I guess made me sleep deprived.  It actually was what made my migraines significanly worse, they were chronic prior, but not daily... but I was not on a preventative.  So my doctor was stuggling to find a preventative and damned fast... and insisted I find a new job and damned fast.  Anyway, while we were trying to figure things out I was obviously in a significant amount of pain and at the time my migraines were always acute (due to no preventative) and heavy on the nausea and vomiting due to them being so damned sudden.  So I was getting sick and fast.  When the pain became an issue I made an appointment but my doc was not in and I saw some chick instead. I was just in a lot of pain because it was my first status migraine while working full time... and it wasn't stopping.  My fibromyalgia had been a concern with my return to work as well, so pain was just an issue period.  And this endless migraine was the straw that broke the camels back.  I guess if at the time I knew more about migrianes I would have gone to the ER (and been dispointed and disillusioned, but still...) but I didn't think people went to the ER for migraines. She told me there was nothing I could do other than take a triptan, which I already had and if that did not work she wasn't going to give me a pain killer (like I had asked?) and that what I should do if it is so 'bad' is 'take and advil and have a bath'.  It actually made me tear up as I recall... I would never cry in front of such a person, but yeah, I was in that much pain that her response made me tear up when I realized she was not going to help at all.  It is doctors like that that cause desperate and emotionally pain strained people to go kill themselves after... because that is a horrible thing to say to someone who is in that much pain and is asking for help.  I don't think I will ever forget that.  Actually I'm really, really glad I didn't see her a decade later when I might have done just that after seeing her.  Pain makes us do crazy things after awhile and sometimes these doctors are cynical jackasses.  I was just a kid... not some crack head.  And I'd had fibro for Years and managed not to become a crack head so that is rather insulting to me and every other chronic pain person out there that we are automatically grabbing for the narcotics.

Okay no more doctor stories.  They are making me cranky.

How bout this?  Someone once told me she heard only really smart people get lots of migraines.  I told her 'Yes, that is very, very true.'  No, I didn't.  But I am really, really smart... when I don't have a migraine.  So once a year I am really, really smart.




National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.
Post a Comment

I would love to just redirect you to the new site...

But sadly the redirect function doesn't function. I will continue to persist hitting it and see if it will eventually do something. Or s...