Skip to main content

Migraine Awareness Month Blogging Challenge #19: "The Match Game"


Describe your perfect doctor to treat your Migraines.
Probably one who has actually had a migraine.  Takes one to know one.  Although I suppose that would just be a bonus.  It is difficult to describe a perfect doctor because they don't exist.  They are just as fallible as everybody else.  I suppose though certain traits would be nice...

1) Persistence: I hate it when doctors or neurologists give up on me because they run out of ideas.  It's called a brain.  Use it.  How did you get through med school anyway? Because I recall when I was in university a little something called research.  If you run out of idea, something I find hard to believe because via the power of Google, my own research skills, I have not and the list of preventatives is Huge and treatments I have not tried that are I admit extreme are out there... anyway, if you run out, then research about.  Look at your patient, their particular symptoms and look into it.  Call a friend if you need to.  But passing the buck so that I have to start all over again really pisses me off.  There is more than one preventative I've been on more than one time because of this... because the next dude down the line for whatever reason didn't believe me when I said been there done that and it didn't work.  It's just idiotic.  So some damned persistence would be nice.

2)  Respect and knowledge: Don't treat me like an idiot. I don't respond well to that. I fully expect a doctor to know more about migraines than I do... or I should say I expect I neuro to, because doctors just don't.  After a bit a gal just picks up a lot, but there is a a great deal I do not know and I expect my neuro to know more.  But that being said I expect them to share that knowledge with me.  When they tell me something I don't want them to say like my last neuro did 'That is migraine associated vertigo' and then tell me that because my migraines are chronic I will get it whenever, like my prolonged aura because my brain is at a constant heightened state and that is the way it is.  So... well.  Why?  And what is migraine associated vertigo exactly?  Well I had to figure that out myself and it turns out it is a great deal more fricken complicated than he made it out to be.  He didn't offer an explanation or a treatment or what I could expect or even all the associated symptoms involved with MAV.  Same with the nerve damage in my hand.  He said it occurred from a status migraine. No explanation as to how that happened because I know that's not normal, or whether it could happen again, or whether the nerve damage could progress.  Nor did he do any tests to actually confirm that was in fact the case.  I want them to know what they are talking about, do their do diligence and explain what is going on with my body, what I can expect and what the game plan is.

3) Bedside manners: Don't be an arsehat.  Enough said.

4) Think outside of the box: Maybe the answer isn't just toss a bunch of pills at me.  Yes, that is part of the answer, but there are lots of things to try.  I just don't know all of them.  I try some things and it has bad results and I would like to work with a doctor who can work with me... give me ideas, send me to things like biofeedback or pain clinics or whatever to help me manage the pain that isn't being controlled by the drugs.  Because I have to survive this somehow and if the meds don't work I'd like a doctor help me survive and not just let me flail along.

5) An effing genius with an IQ of 800 who is on the cusp of curing migraines... well, I can wish, right? :)





National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…