Skip to main content

http://www.clinicalpsychiatrynews.com/news/neurology/single-article/visual-snow-may-be-a-distinct-clinical-entity/95de82a8baa1b5b7b8b44d9c9619b255.html

http://www.clinicalpsychiatrynews.com/news/neurology/single-article/visual-snow-may-be-a-distinct-clinical-entity/95de82a8baa1b5b7b8b44d9c9619b255.html

Results showed that in addition to visual snow, nearly all patients reported other visual symptoms, such floaters (73%); persistent visual images (63%); difficulty seeing at night (58%); tiny objects moving on the blue sky (57%); sensitivity to light (54%); trails behind moving objects (48%); bright flashes (44%); and colored swirls, clouds, or waves when their eyes were closed (41%). 
I admit I've had a real fascination with visual snow since I joined a Facebook group of other people with it because I have learned a great deal more about it. I thought it was just a prolonged migraine aura, but it turns out people have visual snow and never have migraines at all. And those of us who do have migraines with aura they call it a 'persistent migraine aura' but really it is visual snow. A stand alone neurological condition that can be co-morbid with migraines, and the co-morbid factor is high for sure... like 50% of people with vs have migraine, but that leaves 50% who do not.

It is hard to treat. I know that from experience. My doctor tried many medications known to treat aura symptoms... and they worked on my aura symptoms, they have been greatly reduced. But not on the VS.

So... apparently I have another comorbid condition. So fibromyalgia is comorbid with migraines which is comorbid with VS and asthma.  fibromyalgia is comorbid with hypothyroidism and IBS and hyermobility syndrome.  All leading back to FM... bloody FM So who treats what is what I want to know. But VS is neurological so you get treated by a neuro... but apparently most of them don't know what to do with their patient with this, or apparently don't know all about VS.

I sort of get how they can be comorbid with migraines. With migraines with aura the visual cortex is getting overstimulated and thus the aura phenomena. Over and over and over again. I think that alone could trigger VS. Especially in someone with FM where their brains are all hyperactive anyway. I have no clue what the trigger event would be otherwise. And I hope studies will show what triggers it on its own. Or what is really going on there. It is a fascinating disease.

With my migraines being chronic and the MAV and the VS it makes me wonder if maybe it is more like epilepsy than we think. This constant storm in that area of the brain that shouldn't be stimulated. Who know?

On a personal note for some reason my vs is getting significantly worse and I have no idea why. But other that all the static, which is stronger than it was. I'm getting a shaky visual field that is making it difficult to look at anything. Even read or computer time is hard for any length of time. Since no one knows a thing about it I can't ask what makes it worse and what can I do to make it diminish a bit.
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…