Skip to main content

My migraine is not your migraine...

"I would like to emphasize something that is very true for me (and I suspect it’s true for you as well): from one migraine episode to another, my migraine changes.  There’s the pinching, bubble-headed migraine that usually seems to be triggered by neck pain.  There’s the left-sided, airhead-y, vice-like head pain that is a hallmark of menstrual-related migraine.  There’s the ghost-like sense of a migraine, the strange not-quite-right feeling that dips and recedes, threatening to set in as a full-fledged attack.  Sometimes I am sick to my stomach within an hour of the head pain setting in; other times I can suffer from a week-long attack and never feel nauseated.  Sometimes one glass of wine will trigger a migraine the following morning; other (very rare) times I can have a couple of whisky drinks and wake up the next day feeling like a million bucks."Migraine.com

Interesting topic.

My migraines have changed significantly over time. Due to the fact when I was quite young the symptoms were very specific and the aura was mild but when I was older the persistent migraine aura has gotten quite intense and the vertigo as well has changed. Each migraine as well can be quite different from another... one quite worse with nausea or IBS-D, or with an intense visual aura, with different visual auras, or  significant vertigo, or a different pain intensity, type, both sides of the head, more fatigue, a short duration vs a status migraine, weather trigger vs the dreaded hormonal trigger, slow onset vs very rapid onset.

Also important to remember my migraine experience is different from others migraine experience. I may have had a lot of years of experience and have experienced episodic migraines and chronic, silent and pain, migraine with aura (but not migraine without)... but there are a great deal of migraine types I have no experience with like HM for example and some people have suffered for longer than I, have different triggers, different experiences, different patterns, different treatments, different solutions, different stories. Their migraines are not my migraines. And my solutions are not theirs. And we cannot make judgments about each others solutions  Always a good reminder. Also can't minimize each others pain. I get that chronic migraines are horrific and difficult to manage when they get to that point... I live that story. But before my migraines went chronic, they were borderline chronic for a very long time and ill managed... fluctuating from 10 to 15 regularly depending on the duration of the hormonal migraines. I was not really put on any effective preventative. Every third day I guess or more. Side effects to the few medications that were attempted drastically effected my studies and no medications was obviously not good. Just a triptan which could not cover them all... violently ill during the hormonal migraines at the time. Without a preventative... these migraines were all acute. It was crippling and I ended up having to take a break after my Masters because I was not able to manage my academic career; I mean I was able to succeed  just through a haze of pain, with a great deal of effort, and it did effect the quality of my work and my intention had been to just take a year off to get treatment. That by the way did not work because working full time turned out to be just the trigger needed to put me way over into full time chronic migraines... well over... way way over... and never ever got lower than 15 after that. Point being I was still episodic while suffering as bad as I was at that time with these acute attacks, violent nausea  vomiting, regular status migraines every month, blinding auras... borderline but episodic. And I would not say that meant in any way that I was suffering less .. I would say that it was vital that I should have been effectively treated given the frequency of my migraines in order to prevent just what happened.

I can think of slices of time and where my migraines were at and sure all those slices ended up to now. I can relate to a lot of people because they remind me of where I was at one time and that means if they get migraines three times a month I think that is just as important .. if not managed I know exactly what can happen. Every migraine is important. If they are managed then very good. I remember a time when mine were well managed as well and that was awesome (aside from the hormonal ones but they are a special case). When I was younger they were infrequent (12-17) and I used to just sleep... since I never had migraine treatment until my early twenties. But some experiences I can't relate to because I have not experienced them. Or some medications I have not been on. Or side effects I have not had. Or emotions I have not had. But every experience is valid. It is good to know when we share something on a forum to try and figure out what is going on... usually someone else, or several, have actually experienced the same thing... less isolating. But no judgement if you get one migraine a year or thirty a month.... the disease comes in all forms, frequencies and intensities.
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…