Skip to main content

Day 20: Burn out. WEGO 30 posts in 30 days

Write about burnout. What does it feel like? What are your burnout triggers?
Burnout is when I believe I can 'push through the pain' when it is acute because I cannot miss work which leads to a severe increase in insomnia, which leads to longer and more acute migraines, which leads to sleep deprivation... and then status migraines where I am barely sleeping or not sleeping at all and dehydration at times because I can get very ill very fast with severe IBS-D that comes with migraine. It feels like desperation. Like being between a rock and a hard place. Can't call in sick... can't function through the pain. It is a slippery slope into hell. That happens over and over and over again. There is no such thing as 'catching up on your sleep' and no pain reduction when you have no functioning migraine preventative and unable to treat the daily migraines since you can only use a triptan three days out of seven. Triggers are everything that triggers migraines and working full time so you cannot reduce the migraines in any way... like taking a triptan at work and keeping on working, such that all the things that aggravate the migraine rather make the triptan only 'sort of work' and then it comes right back soon after, which means that triptan was useless and wasted wasn't it? So one day rolls into another and soon the migraine lasts more than one day. Worst trigger being lack of sleep because a untreated migraine, which would be quite a few, can cause my already bad insomnia to be quite severe and the lack of sleep means I wake up with that migraine still raging... and down the rabbit hole I go. 

Until I miss work. And have to deal with that guilt and stress that causes. That is chronic migraine hell when you work and it just never ends. And you are just expect to handle it... and not miss work. And not go crazy. Which inevitably leads to... the pit of despair...


What gets you OUT of the pit of despair when nothing is going your way?
I admit for the last couple of years I have lived in the pit of despair when it comes to chronic migraines just because I was having some extreme difficulties coping with work, pain levels, insomnia and mood. Work is like this intense onslaught of sensory overload and this constant struggle to think through the pain and mask the pain. So when at home I needed alone time to recuperate. Well, I was not really functioning at that point anyway so it was more like I needed something to just distract me from the pain, which is how I get myself out of the pit of despair. Not thinking about the pain. Thinking about it... very bad idea. I can't stress that enough because I could think myself into such bad despair... nothing like being in acute pain on a Wednesday and wondering how the hell you are going to make it to Friday. So distractions are the way to go.

1) I read a lot. A lot a lot. People think that is weird with migraines and migraines with the insane amount of visual auras I get... but only enough I can read in the very fast skimming fashion I do for fiction in very dim lighting that is indirect and most people would find uncomfortable to read in. And I find it the perfect escapism and one I have indulged in since I was a kid. Not one I will give up on. And when the pain is so intense I cannot read that is very depressing because those days I can't do anything but lay there and just exist.

2) Creative writing. I write fantasy fiction ebooks and I suppose it is like the ultimate escapism because I create the world and the story and can just dive right in there. Only issue of course is the vast amount of transposed letters and aphasia typos and so forth I need to edit and then edit again and then edit again. But the actual creation process I love. and again... it is a distraction, it points my mind away from thoughts I don't want to be thinking amount and immerses it into a passion I love.

3) Social media- all the blogging and tumbling and facebook paging and tweeting and facebook groups keep me connected and this is a very good thing for me. I need to get my frustrations out there. I need to understand I am not alone. I am a hermit and I am too isolated so I need to keep the connections I have. Plus when I am in a lot of pain and something is stressing me out or frustrating me a great deal it feels better to get it out rather than hold it in.

4) Just relaxing and listening to some really good music. Not thinking anything at all. Not depressing music. Sometimes dance music and busting out some goofy dance moves. Sometimes just laying on my back and listening to something mellow. Sometimes meditating. Music can be a wonderful tool to shut my mind the hell up, which is a good thing.

5) Yoga and or walking: a little exercise not a lot but a little can make me feel good. Grounds me a bit. And again stops the mind from thinking for a little bit.

6) Therapy: Because I have been having some problems I have decided to see a psychologist regularly to help with additional coping methods for the pain I cannot reduce. I think it is a good idea for anyone with a great deal of chronic pain... we don't always have all the answers when it comes to coping strategies and why not have someone to help us out with some new ones?

7) When all else fails... sleep. Sometimes I cannot distract myself from the pain. I am unable to do anything. And this is difficult. Sometimes a good nap will help not only with the pain but make me feel a little better and get me through the day.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…