Skip to main content

Day 8: the Phoenix (migraine) and the Dragon (fibromyalgia): WEGO 30 posts in 30 days HAWMC

If your health condition (or the health condition of a loved one!) was an animal, what would it be? Is it a real animal or make believe?
 My migraines can be represented by a Phoenix... which is often the symbol of regeneration because one phoenix rises from the ashes of the other. And it rises from the ashes and burns fiercely igniting every nerve ending in my brain, setting my entire brain on fire. A fire so strong and bright my eyes burn and can't bear sunlight or light at all. But she is said to be beautiful with a colorful plumage and a tail of gold and scarlet (some stories even say purple, blue or green) and she flashes it for me behind my eyes so I can see spectacular colors displayed with the burning agony and even sometimes the heat distortion. It burns and burns and burns until all thats left are ashes and empty thoughts... and an egg to hatch another migraine. You see my Phoenix is very cyclical and my migraines very chronic so she always leaves something in the ashes to bring forth another inferno. She is a mighty creature indeed.





Fibromyalgia is a big fat dragon that lives in the cave of my brain. His tail curls down my spine and his claws dig into my brain. He takes up a lot of space and that is why I have troubles remembering things. His presence causes me pain because he is so damned heavy and every little shift he makes and twitch of his tail or claws causes pain in every nerve he touches... but this is not too much for he does not stir unless he has to. He doesn't like it at all when I move about or do things because it stirs his slumber and then he will breath out fire which will ignite my nerves with a flare of pain to remind me of his presence. Other times he just gets cranky and twitches a claw in my brain and depending on where that claw lies... well I could forget what a word means, have trouble concentrating, have sudden pain in my arm. He moves that tail around and my back hurts like hell or I have trouble walking. And the bastard never lets me get any sleep, always grumbling and twitching in my brain making it impossible to fall asleep or stay asleep. But I must always be very careful around him... never want to wake him up because when he breathes fire and ignites a flare that is nasty. So nice sleeping dragon.





Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…