Skip to main content

Fibromyalgia and Growth Hormone treatment

In Overview of fibromyalgia and sleep dysfunction I stated " It can also cause the level of growth hormone in the body to be low as growth hormone is primarily distributed during stage four sleep (80% comes from delta sleep). Lower levels of growth hormone leads to more muscle pain and degeneration. Lack of stage four sleep also causes cognitive impairment or brain fog as well as fatigue and muscle aches." However growth hormone does a little more than this. The point being where we might get our low numbers comes from our sleep dysfunction. I can imagine if sleep is adequately treated such that there is refreshed sleep this might not be an issue but in many people with FM where sleep quality is always an issue the levels might be low.

Growth hormone "produced by the pituitary gland, spurs growth in children and adolescents. It also helps to regulate body composition, body fluids, muscle and bone growth, sugar and fat metabolism, and possibly heart function. Produced synthetically, HGH is the active ingredient in a number of prescription drugs and in other products available widely over the Internet." WebMD

Which might be the inspiration for this study GH/IGF1 axis disturbances in the fibromyalgia syndrome: is there a rationale for GH treatment? "Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS) is a frequent idiopathic condition in which patients experience intense pain in specific tender points, profound fatigue and sleep disturbances. Although pain had not account so far in growth hormone deficiency syndrome (GHD) description, symptoms of FMS are very similar; and there is strong evidence of decreased GH secretion at least in a subset of FMS patients. Is there an overlap of the two diseases? A systematic Medline/Embase search for preliminary proof-of-concept trials, but also larger placebo-controlled studies, have shown that GH replacement in low-IGF1 patients can significantly improve some symptoms of FMS and quality of life, suggesting a direct causal effect of GH deficiency. Despite the use of relatively high doses of GH in these patients, treatment seems to be well tolerated. Several mechanisms of action for GH in FMS relief have been suggested, including both central modulation of pain and peripheral musculo-tendinous effects, as already described in classic GHD."

Symptoms of adult growth hormone deficiency are Adult growth hormone deficiency: (I did see they added FM to the list there and one does wonder if that is a case of misdiagnosis or if it is a case of comorbid conditions)
  • Changes in memory, processing speed and attention
  • Lack of well-being
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Social isolation
  • Fatigue
  • Lack of strength
  • Fibromyalgia syndrome
  • Neuromuscular dysfunction
  • Central adiposity
  • Decreased muscle mass
  • Decreased bone density
  • Impaired cardiac function
  • Decreased insulin sensitivity
  • Accelerated atherogenesis with increased carotid intima–media thickness
  • Increased low-density lipoprotein
  • Prothrombotic state
  • Decreased sweating and thermoregulation
 Now, while I find this intriguing because some of us are known to have lower levels, the fact remains... one would really need to have that Verified and know the Risks of growth hormone treatment. Fact is, some people get that treatment to feel good, look young and I've heard it is even part of some weight loss plan.

"Possible side effects of HGH use include:
  • nerve, muscle, or joint pain
  • swelling due to fluid in the body's tissues (edema)
  • carpal tunnel syndrome
  • numbness and tingling of the skin
  • high cholesterol levels
HGH can also increase the risk of diabetes and contribute to the growth of cancerous tumors.
Furthermore, if you get the drug illicitly, you may not know what you are really getting. Because of the high cost, HGH drugs have been counterfeited. If you are not getting HGH from your doctor, you may be getting an unapproved product. You also should speak with your doctor before considering any form of HGH." WebMD

I have heard such massive debates about this because of people using it for other things that honestly it freaks me out a little. Because they don't actually know the long term side effects of such treatments. However, it isn't the same thing when people take it to be 'youthful' and people who take it because they are actually deficient. But again, one would need to verify that and not just start taking it... that seems a way too risky to me. Maybe if I found out my levels were abnormally low I would consider it... but I'm not too keen on cancer, so maybe not... maybe I would just stick to the sleeping pills and hope I get enough HGH that way. Still, an interesting study to say the least. I mean, what if we did significantly feel better and slept better? I think I'd wait for more studies but it is still intriguing.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…