Skip to main content

Triptans and insurance companies- are you restricted in the amount you can take?






I don't actually have this problem. I do have a problem with triptans in general. Side effects of breathing problems and chest pains that occur to some degree with all of them. I sort of forget sometimes how bad one has been until I look it up and then... yep, it was bad with that one too but in a more breathing way rather than a chest pain way or vice verca, or balanced between the two. Any way when I don't have a rescue med which happens depending on whichever neuro I happen to be seeing at the time or the rescue med is something like T3s which really are not that effective then obviously I use more triptans despite the side effects... even though usually the maximum I am comfortable using is three times a week which would be roughly 9 a month. However neuros say you can use them three Days a week, not three times a week, which means if your triptan says you can take four times a day you can take obviously Way more times a month. By the way this is according to my most recent neuro so listen to yours not mine. So when I am having troubles with pain management I obviously don't listen to that because the side effects would cause some serious issues but I do use more often and maybe sometimes twice a day instead. I did have the insurance company have issue with the amount I was taking saying it was 'unsafe' and that was I believe less than 9 even. I just needed a letter from my doctor saying that was the way it was... according to my neuro I could go nuts on the things if I wanted to. For me, I'm very careful though and hesitate to take them more than once a day or two days in a row because of those side effects. Although it wouldn't be a problem... if I chose not to.

Nevertheless we still 'ration' them. Because we can only take them three days out of the week and that means choosing which migraines to treat and which ones not to treat. And choosing really, really fast. For me since I cannot treat two days in a row I treat one day and the next day can be horrific but I'm out of luck. Not anyone's fault. Just the way chronic migraines are. If I have no alternative treatment then that really sucks for me and that is my neuros fault.

One thing my insurance company did do that pissed me off was send out this form to get my doctor to fill out that said basically they would not cover triptans unless my doctor had already looked at treating my migraines with OTC meds like Tylenol and anti-inflamatories and also ergotomines. First of all that pissed me off because they are interfering with how a doctor is treating a patient. Now this has nothing to do with me because obviously having migraines as long as I have and chronic ones at that I've been treated with many things but for a brand spanking new migraine patient who has episodic migraines they should be treated with triptans which are the most effective treatment out there and should not be overusing OTC meds which could be causing side effects and rebound headaches... but most importantly are not aborting the migraine. And ergotomines will work but they are old school and cause a lot more nausea. And so now a new patient has to I suppose demonstrate that OTC stuff doesn't work or overused them to the point they made the situation worse or wrecked their stomach on them, or wrecked their stomach on other anti-inflamtories prescribed by the doctor that were also on the list. Or get ergotomines which I have been on and they do work... but better give them something for the nausea while your at it. I don't think they have the right to take a doctors choice like that when there are so many excellent triptans that would help people out. After I got my form signed... they ended up charging me 5bucks each time... maybe because I go over the recommended amount they consider 'safe'?
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…