A variety of articles about coping with Fibromyalgia and a few extras in there as well!


I have written a lot of articles in the last little while but here are a few that help out with the basics. Some of these articles came about long before I wrote them for Examiner... just as I was thinking about how we cope, how we are be in the world with chronic pain, how it changes who we are on some levels. I often wonder about these things. So I hope some are helpful, or insightful or interesting to all those with fibromyalgia or newly diagnosed with FM or know someone who has FM.

Some articles about coping

Here is my Fibro basics- This is my FM basic... what is is, the gist of it, general symptoms and treatment.

Here are my basic Fibro tips for daily living

All about the Coping process.

I also wrote an article about the Facade of Wellbeing because we are so adept at hiding our pain and it serves a function, this ability to mask our pain, yet at the same time it is a very frustrating thing to have to do as well as know that it makes us essentially more invisible. So to an extent the ability fascinates me how it is something we are forced to learn, serves us and works against us.

Something I found very useful to me when I was younger have having trouble coping with chronic pain was this one chapter in a book on Cognitive Therapy. Just blew my mind and I used it to just revamp the way I thought about my health and pain. It turned a corner for me back then and enabled me to get through my BA with honors and my Masters. So a little on Chronic pain and Cognitive Therapy. I believe other techniques work as well... it is just our ability to sort through all the secondary suffering. Not the primary suffering (the pain and symptoms) but the secondary suffering which is all the emotional and mental reactions, habitual thoughts and automatic thoughts we have about pain and our health that can be rather negative, unproductive and unrealistic. One that snagged me is this notion if I do not work... I am somehow less worthy person in society. I think one of the benefits of therapy is having someone guide us through this. Also plenty of books out there about it. Even programs on mindfullness which works for some.

How can chronic pain affect personality?  I wrote this because as we cope over time it seems part of our personality stays the same while others adapt as we cope. Pain changes us. How we cope fundamentally changes us. It has to. And this adaption process fascinated me. I wondered if you took away all the pain would I even be the same person anymore? Obviously not. But how much had changed and why?


Exploring the impact on family and relationships  as we all know chronic illness affects everyone around us so I wrote an article about some aspects of this and what we can do.

Preparing for college with invisible disabilities is always a good one to have on hand for students. I had a rough time as a Freshman... learned a lot the hard way.

I have a holiday one but way too far away for that sort of thing so I'll skip it.


 Articles about bloggers and apps

About health blogging with a top ten health bloggers list I wrote about the types of health bloggers, why people blog about there health and a good top ten list of health bloggers to check out.


Review of free iPhone chronic pain apps I wrote this as I was looking for one. So I tried them all out to see which ones I liked the most. I can say I still use WebMDs Pain Coach and love it. Anyway you can usually find these on other devices and tracking your pain, treatment and symptoms on your phone is an easy way to do it. And effective tool. And tracking is a good idea just so you know what is going on, whether meds are helping or not, what side effects are going on, whether alternative therapies are working... that sort of thing.

 Somecards for your amusement








Post a Comment

I would love to just redirect you to the new site...

But sadly the redirect function doesn't function. I will continue to persist hitting it and see if it will eventually do something. Or s...