Thursday, June 13, 2013

IBS and vasovagal syncope

Great. I guess my IBS-D isn't under control. I almost passed out today and I thought it was because I got so violently ill, IBS wise because of the violently triggered migraine due to the weather trigger. And then I thought this happens a lot when I go to the bathroom when just this happens. As in when I am Going to the bathroom. TMI I know. But I begin to black out and then more and more until I can barely see. And shake. And sweat. And my heart does funny things. And I want to throw up. And I know if I do not get up and sit down I will pass out and potentially crack my head open.

So... looked it up. Anyway apparently this is something that can happen with IBS and it can cause a dramatic drop in blood pressure as the blood supply to the heart is cut off. But I mean not like I can do anything about it, it is one acute painful bout of IBS-D triggered by migraines. Some people do pass out and do injure themselves. I almost passed out on the way to the couch to curl up because I still had cramping pain because I Had to stop going to the bathroom. And I have passed out on the way to the couch before. And once just sat in the bathroom because that was as far as I could get. And once passed out on the way to bed and fell into the closet. And once passed out on the way to bed and hit the wall and was out for a bit that time. Just Wow. Is all I have to say about That. I seriously do Not want to pass out on the toilet is all I'm saying. Guess this one will be something to bring up to the doc. I honestly thought it was dehydration and my low blood pressure when it happened, but it couldn't be in this case or in all of them.

Guess this means I might have to be more, what? I have no clue. Something that treats it fast I guess. I have no idea when it will be like that and when it won't. All I know is that I felt horrible after. Every time I stood I was like 'nope, not happening' because I felt woozy and dizzy. 





.mayoclinic.com
The vasovagal syncope trigger causes a sudden drop in your heart rate and blood pressure. That leads to reduced blood flow to your brain, which results in a brief loss of consciousness.
Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and requires no treatment. But it's possible you may injure yourself during a vasovagal syncope episode. Also, your doctor may recommend tests to rule out more-serious causes of fainting, such as heart disorders.
Before you faint due to vasovagal syncope, you may experience some of the following:
  • Skin paleness
  • Lightheadedness
  • Tunnel vision — your field of vision is constricted so that you see only what's in front of you
  • Nausea
  • Feeling of warmth
  • A cold, clammy sweat
  • Yawning
  • Blurred vision
During a vasovagal syncope episode, bystanders may notice:
  • Jerky, abnormal movements
  • A slow, weak pulse
  • Dilated pupils
Vasovagal syncope occurs when the part of your nervous system that regulates heart rate and blood pressure malfunctions in response to a trigger, such as the sight of blood. Your heart rate slows, and the blood vessels in your legs widen. This allows blood to pool in your legs, which lowers your blood pressure. This drop in blood pressure and slowed heart rate quickly diminish blood flow to your brain, and you faint.
Common triggers for vasovagal syncope include:
  • Standing for long periods of time
  • Heat exposure
  • The sight of blood
  • Having blood drawn
  • Fear of bodily injury
  • Straining, such as to have a bowel movement


.about.comThe reflex results in an abrupt dropping of blood pressure and a sudden reduction in heart rate. At its worst, the reflex will result in fainting, as blood flow shifts away from the head and down into the legs. Fainting that is triggered by the vasovagal reflex is called vasovagal syncope.

The Vasovagal Reflex and IBS

Unfortunately, research on any possible relationship between IBS and the vasovagal response appears to be non-existent. If you experience symptoms that you believe are related to vagus nerve stimulation during IBS attacks, you should bring this to the attention of your doctor. If you do not actually experience fainting, your doctor is likely to tell you that this is a benign accompaniment to your bowel movements. If you do experience fainting, your doctor may recommend that this syncope (sometime referred to as defecation syncope) be further investigated. For more information on syncope:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve
Post a Comment