Migraine Awareness Month #8: Little Shop of Horrors: "Feed Me, Seymour":

Little Shop of Horrors: "Feed Me, Seymour": What comfort foods do your reach for when you have a Migraine or Headache attack?

Ah the Cravings.

Before a migraine hits I crave Chocolate or Carbs. So healthy I know. Not that I pork down on them but I will have a little chocolate if the craving is major that day. Carbs and salt which my brain likes to believe means Chips. Sometimes it is both a sugar plus salt craving... and that is a weird one... but whatever.

But at least these cravings give me an Appetite. That is something. I had a doc once who told me if my nausea was severe to eat plain chips, among other things of course, but I think it was the salt or something, like plain crackers. Anyway it actually helps sometimes even if not exactly healthy. I cut down on that craving these days because most chips sort of bad on the whole MSG thing but the plain ones are nice, the whole salt and carb craving is resolved and my stomach agrees with it. I just try not to have too many with this craving. And sometimes try to replace it with something else which also works... seems to be the salt taste that really counts but also just carbs work. Whereas when it is chocolate it is Chocolate, but that has never been a migraine trigger for me (thank goodness for that!) and besides that when I crave it the migraine is coming anyway. It never takes much to satisfy that one... I just need a taste of it and my brain is happy about that.

Sometimes I crave cake. I just want cake so bad. I say to my spouse 'I sure could use a piece of cake'. And  he knows I'm having a serious craving... usually that is a craving plus comfort food. And it doesn't go away. Maybe because it hits when the pain has been going on for a few days? I don't know. Either way he usually shows up the next day with cake from the coffee shop! Love that. Yum.

  June 2013, Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, is dedicated to Unmasking the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. The 2013 Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is a project of FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.


Post a Comment

I would love to just redirect you to the new site...

But sadly the redirect function doesn't function. I will continue to persist hitting it and see if it will eventually do something. Or s...