Migraine & Headache Awareness Month #16 - Riverdance.

Migraine & Headache Awareness Month #16 - Riverdance. Have you found a way to work exercise or movement into your life with Migraine/Headache Disorder? What is it?


When I am working full time I'd say never successfully, no. My routine then was get up in just enough time to get ready and get to work. Get through work. By the time I got home pain levels would be pretty high and so I would have a bit of supper, have a short nap, have a shower and then if I could keep the pain low enough that I could hopefully get some sleep to repeat all over again. Or not get sleep. Exercise was the housework I attempted on the weekend and I felt mighty proud of getting some of that done to be honest. I did off and on try to get some yoga in on the weekends but it was depending on the migraine levels then.



Since I am not currently working and this is what I generally have done in the past during short term leaves as well, only this time it is a long term leave... is try to get in some level of exercise. My favorrite has been mild modified yoga because I can do it with fibromyalgia. And when I have attempted to increase my level of exercise it has aggravated that quite a bit, but I have been trying different things to hopefully help with that and also increasing my Lyrica. I have this DVD on yoga with arthritis that I have yet to try out because lately I have been fixated on some housekeeping that I have neglected over time and since this takes me time that has been my exercise. But I'm hoping reducing dust and allergens will help with my asthma which might help overall. Anyway the yoga for arthritis DVD is something I specifically ordered because it has all levels of fitness so already modified if I am unable to do a pose... and that was a bit of a problem for me with regular yoga, some things were fine, but others made some pain significantly worse. I also add in some strength stretches. And on days when I don't do these I go for short walks... can't do much more than a short walk as the FM seems to have issues with my lower back lately from the last time I tried to increase my pace too quickly for my body's ability to cope.


Anyway my last neuro said my exercise was insignificant and wouldn't help with the migraines. I don't get why neuros for migraines can be so insane about the exercise thing to be honest. It can seriously trigger some wicked migraines. And you would think with the amount of migraines I get... the fact I can 'fit in' some exercise when my brain is able to move would be pretty damn significant. With FM I think any progress is good progress. Move. Do a little something... a little housework does count in my books. As does some yoga, or sitting yoga, or a short walk. Chronic pain like migraines will mess with making routines in exercise so when you can't do something like yoga or strength exercises, try meditation or a short bout of relaxing sitting yoga. I think everything I do counts, screw what the neuro said. Because it helps with FM fatigue. It helps with mood regulation. Does it help with pain and endorphin release... no, but I'll never get to that point if I push way beyond my limits will I? Apparently I'll just keep injuring myself... which causes long periods of decreased mobility and not exercising. So these guys can preach all they want, and they will, but we can do what we can when we can. And not saying I don't dance furiously sometimes... and that is a good mood boosting workout... just really can't do that during a migraine.

Here is one I found that is a sit down yoga routine for people with chronic pain. I rather like it for days where I wake up feeling unwell from the day before and the migraine is lingering but the pain isn't high yet. It can relieve some tension as long as I do not push it. I also like it during the morning before a migraine hits, before I even contemplate doing any other exercise because I find it is a good stretch for problem areas for me. I sort of need to break of exercise on days I do exercise anyway... FM will make you feel like you have reached that point of exhaustion pretty fast. I find if I break it up I can get more in.  I just have not figured out how to minimize the pain from the exercise I do such that when I do it does not accumulate over days and increase my baseline pain even at the minimum level I do.


Yoga for People in Pain: Part 5 - Guidelines for Yoga Posture Practice from CIRPD on Vimeo.






June 2013, Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, is dedicated to Unmasking the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. The 2013 Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is a project of FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.



Post a Comment

I would love to just redirect you to the new site...

But sadly the redirect function doesn't function. I will continue to persist hitting it and see if it will eventually do something. Or s...