Friday, August 23, 2013

#Gastric dumping syndrome and #IBS

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/606652/?sc=mwhn

"Gastric dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying is a condition where ingested foods bypass the stomach too rapidly and enter the small intestine largely undigested. It happens when the small intestine expands too quickly due to the presence of hyperosmolar (having increasedosmolarity) food from the stomach. "Early" dumping begins concurrently with or immediately succeeding ingestion of a meal. Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomitingbloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness, and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens one to three hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types.

Dumping syndrome is largely avoidable by avoiding certain foods that are likely to cause it; therefore, having a bigger digestive tract balanced diet is important. Treatment includes changes in eating habits and medication. People who have gastric dumping syndrome need to eat several small meals a day that are low in carbohydrates, avoiding simple sugars, and should drink liquids between meals, not with them. Fiber delays gastric emptying and reduces insulin peaks. People with severe cases take medicine (such as octreotide and cholestyramine) or proton pump inhibitors (such as pantoprazole and omeprazole) to slow their digestion. Doctors may also recommend surgery. Surgical intervention may include conversion of a Billroth II to a Roux-en Y gastrojejunostomy."
So I came across this in a Fibromyalgia forum when people were discussing IBS. In particular when you eat a meal and literally immediately after, maybe minutes, you have to go to the bathroom over and over again. I get this quite often and never can figure out what triggers it. Some things are obvious... like sometimes it is fast food. Not always, but sometimes.

Today I salmon, with cooked carrots and a side of pasta. Not sure. I think though it was the garlic I used on the salmon. I think sometimes when I use a lot of garlic it triggers this flare up. Not sure though. Either way... doubt I got much nutritional value from that meal.

Anyway I have come to the conclusion to begin to avoid these events and the severe cramping events that cause my blood pressure to drop and nearly pass out, and just the IBS funness overall I need to change my habits. When I was working I could not while at work because of this eating and then going to the bathroom 6 to 10 times in rapid succession. You can feel really run down after. Worse if it was the other one... you feel down for the count for hours after that one. I had tried altering my diet at work and it didn't work out well. So I stopped eating to avoid the situations.

Clearly though to hopefully reduce these flares of both types I should try it again while on leave. I should try eating several small meals a day, more fiber and avoid drinking while eating. And see what that does to improve the situation. Give me a baseline to work with.

The problem is the fact I lack an appetite and sometimes have a lot of nausea to deal with.  I take ginger pills for nausea right now but I will have to take more if I eat more because migraines don't like it when you eat when you have nausea. They don't like it when you eat with pain. This the lack of appetite.

So i must start slow. And convince my body it wants to eat every three hours and a smaller supper.
Post a Comment