Skip to main content

Brain on meditation and me on meditation

Get Adobe Flash player

There is a lot of research on meditation. You don't need to show me brain scans to prove to me it has benefits.
I do however suck at it.

It is partly that I never feel I should pause long enough to do it. There is this concept that I should use my time doing something 'productive' and if I don't I should be 'guilty' about that. I know it would be more productive to take the time to do something that might actually help me in some way. But there you go. You spend decades of your life trying to push through the pain every moment of the day to function and work that you feel guilty for any downtime. Perhaps all that time with untreated pain, 'pushing through it' creating all that stress just trained the brain to feel it more. Perhaps we should take the time to train our brains to calm down a bit. Perhaps people should give us a moments peace to do so. There are many things we could do that might improve our existence... but damn doing all those things instead of being productive members of society, well, then we are just lazy are we not? Not to mention some of those damn alternative treatments are costly so not like we can afford do all the things that might benefit ourselves. But meditation is one that is free and does have benefits even in small doses a day.

There is an additional issue I find. The pain itself. Not like it just shuts up and lets you zen out. So you get to your quiet spot. Do whatever you do. Think of a perfect spot. Think of one word. Focus on your body. Whatever. And then... I personally become aware of the ringing in my ears. So silence not good. Okay, so play some mellow music. Good.

Begin again.

Then control your breathing. Take some deep breaths... become aware than when you do your head feels like it is swelling with pain. Ouch. Damn that is unpleasant. Okay. Shallow breathing it is.

Begin again.

Become aware of how bad your migraine actually is. There is something to be said for not sitting there focusing inward. Distraction techniques are a good thing when it comes to chronic pain. Hard to get around this one when you have an acute migraine. Okay. No meditation with an acute migraine. Stop. Do it later.

Much later.... Begin Again.

Meditate for a bit. Get sort of bored. Wonder if it is doing anything. Start thinking about story ideas. Wonder if that is more daydreaming and not meditation. Draw my thoughts back to my boring 'peaceful spot'. Sigh. Start daydreaming again. Realize I like daydreaming.

Get tired. Feel like having a nap. Start having a nap attack. Wonder if this means I am 'relaxed'.

Start to actually fall asleep. Okay meditation done.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…