Skip to main content

I wonder where I went

This can't be me I think sometimes. This is just the pain. The fatigue. This isn't me. I am smart and articulate. I am not here anymore. And I don't know where I went.

This can't be me I think sometimes. I had goals and ambitions. I wanted to get my phd and teach philosophy. Those days are so long ago and that person is long gone. Replaced with a realistic person who just wanted a job she could hold down. I was proud I could make that into a career but I yearned for that abstract theories and research life I had to leave behind. That part of me I had to crush in order to survive.

This can't be me I think sometimes when the pain consumed everything and it exceeded my ability to cope. Took my desire to live. Took my job that I struggled to hold onto just to hold onto something.

Where am I, I wonder? Do I exist in those small pain gaps? But no those have the fatigue constant from this battle and the post-migraine and the pre-migraine. No, there is very little me to be found there. But more than when the migraine hits and my brain function declines.

I exist in the constant state of pain flux, neurological chaos and fatigue. My personality itself is dimmed by it but clearest in the pain gaps. If I have the energy. Is this who I am? Just a constant flux of pain and neurological symptoms distorting my perception of existence and my ability to function in reality?

How can I be my authentic self when my self cannot even come out to play? How can I find a way to exist well in this chaos when there is no stability?

You have to wonder. You have to wonder because if you get just one migraine free day... it is like a cloud lifts from your brain. There is this massive amount of clarity that descends upon you. You can truly see the world. You can truly comprehend people. You can truly remember what they say. You can think straight. You can absorb massive amounts of information and use it just as quickly. And you realize This is how your brain ought to work. Without brain fog and glitches and thinking through pain.

And then it is gone. You are sucked back into this vagueness of brain fog and never getting all you can from your enviroment because pain makes you focus on what is directly in front of you. Ah, and, you lose so much to the haze of pain. So many memories become so vague.

I do not mourn the me of the past. The past is gone. Yes, I made compromises to survive. I survived so it worked. I just wonder how be me in this existence I have now. This me. How can this me be more than just this illness. How can I form a self-hood from all this hazy chaos.

The only authentic me through pain, or at least the lower levels..  is the me that laughs and acts goofy with my spouse despite it, or even because it... I do believe laughter is the best medicine for my spirit anyway. And that is authentically me. I am a goofy person who loves to laugh at goofy things.

And the other authentic me is the me that writes. And writes about everything. I write to understand myself, this illness, my experience of this illness and I write fiction. But while this is authentically me I wish that my illness did not get in the way of it with the endless fatigue and higher levels of pain. Or I would find more productive ways to make an income from this. I am just too exhausted to think of them. I am sure that is partly from the depression I fight from time to time.

Otherwise, I fight to be me. I fight to be more than Fatigue and Pain. They press down on me and repress all that I am. Dulling all of that which has always defined me as me.
A moment free of sunglasses and a hat. Wow.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…