Skip to main content

When someone wears too much perfume and you have a migraine...

image
(Gif From)

*gag* *gasp* 

I can have such a sensitive sense of smell with migraines. It is not Just with cologne and perfume. It it with all things. But fragrances can be sharp, make the migraine worse, trigger a migraine or trigger a bout of nausea the likes you never want to encounter.

I avoid perfume counters like the plague. Don't want to walk into that mixture of hell scents thank you.

I have problems buying candles because while I generally know which my nose finds insanely offensive I am tricked by the names of some of them or some sound rather pleasant and turn out to be vastly unpleasant to me. 

I know people are sensitive about their perfumes. They want to smell nice. They want to wear them. Even though the contents of such concoctions can bother people with asthma, migraines, allergies and a few other conditions as well. It is why some workplaces and other public places are now fragrance free. Don't blame that on me and my migraines blame that one a significant part of the population having a problem with them in different ways. 

My workplace would not have gone fragrance free for me. They hardly would have done anything significant for my health benefit. So it could be difficult. I just knew who wore perfume I could not tolerate and therefore could not stand near and needed to avoid most of the time. But I could not avoid customers and I could not have my office door open when they were in my office. Those two things combined? Could make for a toxic situation with some people who I swear dumped their perfume bottle on themselves before walking out the door. It Lingers long after they are gone such that even then you don't want to stay in there... wishing you could fumigate it of the perfume somehow.

So with a migraine I Notice a Lot of scents. Scents I should not notice at all become magnified. It is a horrible migraine symptom as far as I am concerned. Ruins my appetite I might add. Some things smell too much so I just think they are 'off' or they make my stomach roll. Point is it can do the same with some stronger perfumes. So this would be why I might back a few steps from someone. Stand down wind. Not hug people. But generally I don't think it is a big deal people wear a normal amount of perfume or cologne. 

But too much is just damn too Much. My nose is already on hyper-drive. I am swarmed by the scent of it. Drowning in it. Makes me want to toss my cookies on their shoes. I can't just back up a few paces because the fume cloud they have created is in the whole damn room. Uhg.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…