Skip to main content

#MHAM #MHAMBC #Migraines Let nothing dim the light that shines from within

Maya Angelou recites her poem “Still I Rise” 

There are some powerful lines in this poem about hope and overcoming obstacles.

"You may trod me in the very dirt 
But still, like dust, I’ll rise."
 
I love this line right here because we can be knocked down quite a bit.  From the pain, from our disease, from the life consequences of living with  this pain chronic migraines and from the stigma of others in the workforce, medical field or even at times family.


Just like moons and like suns, 
With the certainty of tides, 
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I’ll rise.

Maybe one thing we can be certain about is our pain. As sure as the sun and the moon. We can be sure of our pain. Yet still we rise. We have a pretty consistent obstacle and yet we manage to fight on. Shine on.

Did you want to see me broken? 
Bowed head and lowered eyes? 
Shoulders falling down like teardrops, 
Weakened by my soulful cries?

This stanza reminds me a great deal of some of the stigma we face. This idea we cannot be in a great deal of pain if we are working. Then, how can we work one day and not another? And the concept that people have that we cannot smile and laugh and be in pain. I know it is because chronic pain is an invisible disability and what cannot be seen can be doubted. However, I often wonder if people would prefer to See the impact of pain. To hear our screams. To see our tears. Or to see that all the time would simply be perceived as an exaggeration... because one simply cannot be in that great deal of pain all the time. It is not done. Damned if you show it, damned if you don't. But we are fighters and as such we do not accept defeat easily. I know pain can break us, but I know we can mend those broken spots. I know it does not always break us, even though one would think it would.

Up from a past that’s rooted in pain 
I rise  
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear 
I rise 
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear 
I rise

I love the hope in these lines. Although I know that I am a more melancholy soul that has a harder time finding a great deal of hope on any given day. Have to try harder for it. I may not like that my past is rooted in pain, but I loath that my future will be consumed by it. So I try not to think about that. I would love to rise into a daybreak that's wondrously clear. Nevertheless there is hope in our futures and there is the capacity to decrease our suffering in different ways. We can improve our quality of life, which I think is vital.

It is a lovely poem that is a bit out of context for this, but it has some really inspiring lines in it. She has some great pieces.



Twitter: nikki_Albert
 Facebook: www.facebook.com/BrainlessBlogger
 blog: http://brainlessblogger.blogspot.ca
 Tumblr: http://hermitbrainlessblogger.tumblr.com


Day #1 post “What would you do if your dream of a totally pain- and symptom-free life, came true?”
Day #2 post "Bed of Clouds poem to ponder"
Day #3 post "Recurrent dreams"

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…