Skip to main content

JD Schramm: Break the silence for suicide attempt survivors


Resources

That is a statistic we do not hear often. 19 of of 20 people survive the first suicide attempt. 37% who fail that first attempt will succeed a second time. A very high risk group.

Without question people are uncomfortable with suicide. So surviving it you will find a lot of people do not want to have a serious conversation with you about it. And it can lead to a sense of isolation and shame.

People with a chronic illness and/or chronic pain are at a higher risk for suicide or suicidal ideation. Just physical pain from chronic pain alone is a risk factor to suicide that is very much ignored.

No one thinks about the resources a person need after surviving a suicide attempt as we flounder to survive. We have to choose to survive first. I mean there was a reason we tried to commit suicide in the first place. So we have to find some reason to choose not to. Even if that reason is not ourselves at first. And the suicide attempt is a traumatic experience that we have to deal with and plagues us for a long time after. And seduces us for a long time after. For the most part this battle to overcome it all is done in silence. I know in my case my doctor thought it was almost expected... he said it was a strong reaction to pain. Yeah. That. And while that was very true it was also a lot more. And while I saw a therapist for a short duration she did not help at all. I was in a lot of physical pain which caused a lot of suffering. And I needed some help with that. Because it did not make a lot of reasonable sense to want to survive like that and to Also torment myself further by aggravating the pain with full time work, which I was doing at the time. She had said I simply should not work. Yes, well, that does not work well for the whole needing money thing and I cannot put myself on leave I need others to do that. As I said, she was of no real value for me. Not even in helping with methods to manage the pain.

So if someone does survive a suicide attempt and you know the reason for it, it seems logical to me that something should be done about that. A lot of something. Not saying in my case some things have not changed and the direction of my treatment has not improved slightly but that had nothing to do with that incident and a lot to do with my finding a new doctor.

I think there should be mandatory resources for that person. Instead there is just a lot of indifference which astonishes me to be honest. I think of all the lives lost to chronic pain due to suicide and perhaps those numbers make sense. Indifference to pain treatment, indifference to suicide attempts. Just indifference.

Not with family and friends of course. Loved ones are anything but indifferent. In my case it was seeing the impact of that event that has caused me not to have another attempt. Not everyone was comfortable talking about it but some were. And I was able to think a great deal about it and work it out as to what needed to be done to change the situation. But family has a difficult time coping as well and not everyone will know what to say. Or say anything. It can be a very difficult topic to discuss. Especially when you do not know all the details and the person themselves has no willingness to open up, but if they do all you can sometimes do is listen and be there for them.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…