Skip to main content

Mini vacation to Manitoba


Took a short vacation to visit my spouses family in Manitoba. They live on a reservation out that way. Turns out it is also a wifi and cell dead zone so I was completely out of touch and feeling rather disconnected.

It is about a 10 hour drive from where we live and I only drove for a couple hours of that there, and the same back. So my spouse did a hell of a lot of driving.







Both trips I got a lot of visual aura activity from the bright sunlight in my eyes on the road. Even with sunglasses on. Even with my hat on some of the time. Too much sun just makes the auras come out to play. Made the center of my vision pulse and warp like the closing and opening of the petals of a flower made out of white and black light. Vivid against the blue sky and bothersome over the road and cars. I also got vertigo from both trips. I suspect from just too long in a moving car but the little bit of driving likely did not help. On the way there the vertigo lasted all day. It is worse now though. So it might last longer. Even as I type this sitting down it I keep swaying and then get a lurching falling sensation.

We had a hard time finding a hotel down that way because there is just this wee little town by the reservation with a motel and this hotel over a bar. We could not get a hold of the motel. So we went to the hotel. Which was a mistake on our part. Now, on the website, which they have, it says newly renovated rooms with a TV, microwave, coffee pot and fridge. From that you might think it was a little old but fairly basic. And you would be wrong. They did renovate the bathroom clearly but could not see anything else done. There was a tiny TV about the size of my computer screen. No coffee pot, no fridge and no microwave. So that was some serious false advertising. The beds barely fit in there and looked like they might fall apart. I wondered if anyone very stayed in the place. When we arrived they said the rooms were not clean yet... we arrived in the evening. None of the rooms were clean yet. We really did not want to stay but we had no other option at the time since we did not have any way to get a hold of anyone yet. So we did. And sleeping was very difficult. I got a hell of a migraine. Being over a bar it was insanely loud all night long. And you could hear everyone trek up and down the stairs and even talk in the hallway. I got about four hours of restless sleep. Then the next day my spouse's mother insisted we stay at her place and would have the day before had we a way of contacting her... we did not know at that time how to get to her place and she does not have a phone.

The visit itself went very well. I have met only a few people from that side of his family. So lots of people to meet and visit. Although our visit was just short. We could not do much around there though because our timing was very bad. Apparently they were in the middle of a flood due to rainfall. When we had arrived it was during a horrible stormfront that just caused an onslaught of rain. And that lasted for a few days, and had been going on for a bit. Roads were closed. Lakes and rivers overflowing. Basements in the community flooding. Some of the roads in their community started to flood over and buildings surrounded. Had it rained longer we would have been stuck there as it was we had to take a detour out as the road we were supposed to take was closed, and even so road through some submerged areas. We were at the edge of the flood zone and it was quite a bit worse to the south of where we were where a lot of roads were closed.

As you can image the migraines didn't much like this so I did take more of my triptan than I usually would like to in order to manage them. But doing that did help a bit for sure. And then on our last day when the sun broke out That change caused another wicked migraine, so really no winning there.

Pictures of flooding:

 This is heading right into the reserve. There is a bridge with a tiny river you can step over that swelled up into this... actually quite a bit more than I could take a picture of and a foot below the bridge itself.

 On the way home this was by the detour we had to take. Our road was closed and then this massive flood lake was on both sides of the road when we had turned north to detour around.
 This road is submerged and we had to roll on through. I have a video of us plowing through it. It was actually quite the distance and a large lake there. They had a light system set up so cars on each side had a turn to go through.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…