Skip to main content

Second tript to the pain clinic

My second visit to the pain clinic has relieved some of my concerns. I mean I completely failed to achieve the set out goal of exercising one hour a day, right? So I assumed it was going to be some sort of push to achieve that.

It was not. I wonder if he had said that from the onset to see in fact what I could achieve without implying I could not in fact do it. Like suggesting I would not be able to achieve that goal anywhere near that right away would put me in that mindset and I would then achieve less? Perhaps so.

Fact remains I only was able to do ten minutes a day on the stationary bike trying my damndest. And I was not able to, in that month, get any more than that. So not advancement on top of that.

Epic fail I thought. Nowhere near the goal. I suck.


Also what the hell was up with that goal when I have fibromyalgia anyway? Seemed insanely impossible. Not productive to me at all.


You go through all this trouble to explain things and they say nothing left for you but to exercise. No treatment left I have not tried. And I am game for it. But set a goal like that? What a bastard, right?

Well the second meeting he tells me it was quite expected that all I got for all my effort was ten minutes. In fact that was rather good. A couple minutes would be fine. Ten was good. And that he would expect that it was going to take 5 to 6 MONTHS before I can work up to the hour he would like to see.

Thanks for telling me that. Now. Actually this is very good news. My body vastly appreciates this timeline. This is achievable. Or so I hope. I seem to lack some insane muscle endurance, which from what I have read is normal for the conditions I have. He said stamina will come with time and I hope he is right about that. I know I was able to slowly increase my walking and yoga times so I hope it is the same with aerobics like the bike, although it seems to take a hell of a lot more out of me.

He also wants me to decrease my Lyrica medication. He said while it is a good medication for fibromyalgia pain wise it can be a bad one for fatigue wise. So it inhibits activity. And I definitely know that. It is why I spread it through the day... it is so bad for that I cannot take it in one dose. I am fine for decreasing it because I have been on it for many years now and initially I had noticed some improvements but I do not see as much any more so it is hard to say it is doing anything now. I know the pain killer I am on is dramatically helping me exercise even though it is not that strong. But the lyrica not so much help at all. Plus the side effects long term should not be ignored. So I am fine for seeing what sort of changes happen if I decrease it. He said if it does affect my ability to exercise then to keep taking it, but if I notice no real difference in that regard then to go down by 75 mgs by the time I see him next.

I see the physio team he recommended on Friday and that will also help with the exercise. I am hoping they will recommend things to help with the hypermobility syndrome since part of the muscle fatigue comes from that and also some exercises are not recommended for that syndrome. I do not always choose the right ones unfortunately and it causes pain and accidents. Part of the problem with the stationary bike is that it is quite painful on the knees, which are double jointed, but I cannot think on any aerobics that would be easier on my joints to be honest. Except maybe water aerobics. I might have to consider adding that in instead to protect my joints.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…