Skip to main content

#migraines and Canadians



CBC news reported:

Federal agency released a report on the prevalence of migraine, stating an estimated 2.7 million Canadians reported to have been diagnosed with severe headache in 2010-2011

  • 2.7 million Canadians stated they had been diagnosed with migraines.
  • 26 % of them stated migraines prevented their usual activities.
  • 26 % said they felt left out.
  • 53 % said migraines prevented them from driving.
  • 76 % said it affected their ability to get a good night's sleep.
"For three-quarters to say that it had an impact on their getting a good night sleep, over half said it prevented them from driving on some occasions, even people feeling left out of things because of their condition. There's some social isolation that could be occurring. It may be limiting on people's education and employment opportunities. That can have a long-term effect."The sleep findings are important given lack of sleep can impact other aspects of life, Ramage-Morin said, noting how the effects can extend beyond the individual to the larger community. CBC news


Both women and men questioned migraines were common between the ages of 30 to 49. This group represent 12 % of the population in their prime working years. An important factor when you consider the impact migraines can have on work and career. "Ramage-Morin suggested employers, health-care workers and policymakers could use the findings to understand that  a large proportion of the population is affected by migraines. Workplace policies could be used to help support people with the condition."CBC news


On average migraines are diagnosed at age 26 which is about four years after the symptoms, migraines, are first experienced.

70% of the migraineurs in the study were employed at the time of the study. Of these one-third said they face limitations in job opportunities. "Previous international studies suggest migraines are associated with lost productivity on the job."
CBC news
Almost two-thirds of people diagnosed with migraines (63 per cent) were classified with minimal or mild depression, and 20 per cent had moderate to severe depression. It’s known that migraines increase the risk of depression and depression increases the risk of the headaches.
Forty-two per cent of people with migraines said they had taken prescription medications for the condition in the previous three months. Among those not taking prescription drugs, the most frequent reasons were that they did not need it, they hadn’t been prescribed or they did not want them.
About 56 per cent of migraineurs said they had paid out of pocket for medications in the previous year for which they wouldn’t be reimbursed. CBC news
The report was based on the 2010 and 2011 data from the Canadian Community Health Surveys and the 2011 survey of living with Neurological Conditions in Canada.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…