Skip to main content

#triptan and heart skipping not fun

While on holidays I had one hell of a migraine day that required two triptans to even just somewhat manage. I have issues with triptan side effects. More so when I take more than one a day or for more than one day in a row.

It did come to some surprise though that while on the road the next afternoon while driving home I got that skipped heart beat sensation. A lot. As in it just kept happening. It would not stop. In the middle of nowhere of course. It kept at it for hours. Then seemed to slow down, but kept happening all night long. And then the next day. The key thing I think about it happening the next day though was that the triptans should have been well out of my system by then.

However, I discussed it with my doctor today and while it does seem odd we cannot think of what else it can be from. I do get that reaction from a few other medications, but not any I have taken in a long time... because of that side effect. So, not that.

It also occurred a few times today, but sporadically. When I went to the pharmacy I checked my blood pressure and it was 106/47. Another theory might just be blood pressure related I suppose given when the second number drops below 55 I start feeling pretty rough.

There is little point to try and catch triptan side effects on an EKG though for two reason. A) they are sporadic. Sometimes it is a crazy flutter every half hour and that is not something they are going to catch. Sometimes it goes nuts for a half hour and by the time I would get to the ER it is done its little hissy fit. While other times, well, it can be more enduring. B) my doctor and I both agree that being taken off the triptans altogether is a bad idea, because triptans Work. They work substantially better than anything else. So she just told me to continue to use them rarely and to Not use them twice a day again.

I have in the past worried a great deal about triptan side effects because when I use them twice in one day or in consecutive days I can experience some pretty freaky things. Really not something you want to deal with. Especially when you 'don't want to make a fuss' and go to the ER. Now there have been times, where, yes, I have gone to the ER in the case of angina and times where I have not. Generally though most triptans, aside from Imitrex, do not give me That kind of angina. More commonly I have breathing issues, which let me tell you is not fun waking from a dead sleep with. Fast heart rates or slow heart rates. Palipatations and skipped beats. All of which vary in intensities. Thus when I take two... gets worse.

I have seen an improvement by taking them rarely. I still get very run down because it does affect me to some degree every time but I have no cumulative effect going on.

I think what always concerns a person is what if something like that is not in fact a medication side effect? What if it is just an actual effect? Of something else entirely. I think in this case no way to know that sort of thing to be honest. Unless that sort of thing happens when I have not taken the triptan at all. Even so, I find it pretty suspicious I keep having this particular skipped heart beat sensation 'side effect' 'medication sensitivity' lately. I think the only way to really show one way or another is to document it, but like I said, that is tricky. I suspect I will have to wait for another event like this last one and go to the ER about it, no matter what, just to have it on file.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…