Skip to main content

Uncalled for #Vertigo

I have been going into the city three times a week now for a few weeks. Mondays for a pain class; teaching techniques to cope with pain. Tuesday and Friday for physio the insurance company sent me to. It is a bit of a load.

And I am not driving. My mom has been driving me to All of these. All of them! Due to the chronic migraines and vertigo. Since I have been put on the calcium channel blocker the vertigo has been reduced but it is very unpredictable with motion triggers like extended driving, elevators, escalators... pretty much anything like that.

If I were driving it would be worse. But as it is, all this into the city and back for weeks is triggering the vertigo in an extended way. Three days now I have had episodic bouts of vertigo. All day long, but mild and pulsing and then suddenly more moderate. Today before we left I noticed it sitting down. Then in the city I could feel it standing up. Then my balance was shot.

However, with my medication it is in the mild to moderate range, rather than the moderate to severe range which is far more serious. Without medication not only was it more severe but the bouts would last longer. And the nausea that would come with it was pretty extreme.

I don't like it though. It is very disorientating. I feel all spacy. It affects my vision as well. Like your spatial perception gets distorted. Not to mention my auras can get very warpy when I get disorientated. You keep perceiving and feeling motion where there should be none. Just sitting still makes your stomach roll because you feel like you are shifting, or like the chair is bouncing. When you stand the ground feels spongy or like it is pulsing or vibrating. Then out of the blue it drops from one side, and you lurch or stagger to the side.

Problem is that it isn't going away because I keep going into the city. My brain isn't getting a break here.

And this would be the reason why I cannot commute to work. Or really drive at all long distances. Within the town we are in, usually, I can. Sometimes even that will cause mild vertigo... or it has, but I assume that is when I already have a migraine. Hard to say. It is just that unpredictable. I just know highway driving or driving for any extended time makes it that much more 'predictable'. The medication though has improved things and it is the only medication that touched the issue in the least bit.

Needless to say I am cranky about it because the sensation is just that freaking bothersome. Even trying to sleep becomes a boat ride you did not ask for.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…