Skip to main content

Who I am #Without #Pain


I like to think I know who I am, but when you think of all the fatigue, brain fog, neurological symptoms and pain that comes with migraines... exactly who would I be without them?

It is hard to imagine with daily migraines because you lose that comparison. Those non-migraine days. I seem to recall the last one I had, that is a migraine free day, involves a lot of energy and clarity of thought. So I imagine without migraines I would just be able to think more effectively... instead of through this mud with pain taking up half my attention all the time.

And let us not forget that being in pain all the time impacts how we perceive reality and our emotional states. My mood stability would be different. How I perceived time would be different. How I thought about reality would be different.

That is why when people say, I am not my illness... well, I know I am in part influenced by my illness. It and I have been linked for so long it has impacted who I am. Without it, them actually, I would be different. Just a fact.


When it comes to all pain I Know I do not know who I would be without it. I do not Know a body without pain. I understand most people are not aware of their bodies all the time via pain, but I am aware of my body during movements and sitting too long, or exercise, or standing too long... all these things will tell me a pained story. So I know I need to move, or stop moving. Or shift. Or adjust. It is a constant communication. I can't imagine that just stopping. I would wonder... what pain is normal then? What sort of pains I get would remain that are normal for my age because surely some must be. I also can't image the migraines just stopping. I am just so used to thinking through them. Knowing they are impending. Feeling the thick prodrome settle on me and my brain turn to moosh.

I think it is a pleasant fantasy, but since I will Not be without pain it is not something I should think about. More I should think about what I can do to help reduce the pain. What physio. What exercises. What will help my pain. That is all I can do. And all the things that can help with my suffering. Like they do at the pain clinic. Meditation and relaxation exercises.

I cannot know what I am without pain. I want to know how to survive it. That is a better question and challenge.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…