Skip to main content

#VestibularMigraines and a severe bout of #Vertigo today


I have vestibular migraines (used to be called migraine associated vertigo). With me it presents as vertigo that occurs with the migraines and without the migraines. So between attacks. It is very sensitive to motion. So cars, planes, boats, elevators, escalators... those sorts of things will trigger some level of vertigo and sometimes a bout of it that endures for days or weeks.

Vertigo can present in different ways. You can have internal head spinning vertigo, where it feels like the inside of your head is whirling, you can have external vertigo, where it feels like the world is spinning, you can have swaying, where when you are sitting it feels like you are being drawn in to move in a direction causing a swaying motion, you can have mooshy floor and drop attacks, this is where when you are walking the ground itself feels unsteady, shifting and at times feels like it drops away and you stagger or lurch or fall as a result. I have experienced them all and am very prone to the ground feeling unstable and drop attacks.

I was put on a medication called Sibelium that brought my vertigo down from moderate and severe, to mild to moderate which was a pretty damn good success. It also brought me out of a month long attack. I also have not been getting really extended bouts.

But today I had a set back. My mom gave me a lift into the city to see my doctor and it caused some moderate vertigo. The ground felt unstable and mild drops kept happening. It was like that until this evening when suddenly it became severe and I had abrupt severe drop attacks. Each one caused me to yell out in surprise, and curse, and lurch to catch myself. Your heart just hammers like nuts because it is so sudden a falling sensation.

It worries me to be honest because it suggests the medication might not be working as well anymore. I am not driving as it is but I cannot even risk short distances if it is severe. I could at least potentially drive in town, but severe attacks are nuts and dangerously disorientating.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…