We are #stronger for this #battle

"Sometimes suffering is just suffering. It doesn't make you stronger. It doesn't build character. It only hurts."

We can talk a lot about the growth that comes from suffering. We can talk about how we choose to react to pain. We can talk about pain has changed us.

But I get a little tired of this idea that it makes us stronger. Sometimes is just doesn't. Sometimes I like to lie to myself and Believe that it makes me stronger because the lie is comforting. The real fact is that I don't feel strong at all. I feel broken. The only thing strong about this pain is continuing on with it when you don't feel like doing that at all. So there is strength in us. There is. But often I feel it is the lie of 'strength' that gets us through our suffering. And useful fictions like this are good things. I used to get up out of bed because of useful fictions. Sometimes that is all we have; the stories we tell ourselves to keep us going.


Post a Comment

I would love to just redirect you to the new site...

But sadly the redirect function doesn't function. I will continue to persist hitting it and see if it will eventually do something. Or s...