Fitness Friday #HAWMC

Tell us about your how you maintain a healthy lifestyle. What is your favorite type of exercise? How do you manage fitness with a chronic illness? 

This is a hard one. When I was not working I was exercising 20 minutes about four times a week on the stationary bike. The pain clinic had wanted me to do aerobic exercise so that is the method I chose. Prior to that I had been walking and doing yoga.

Working through has sort of cut into my energy and already I have been exercising less. I find it difficult to combat the fatigue inherent with working fulltime. I do mediate to relieve the stresses of working. But having the energy after work to do Anything has been difficult. So I have been trying to exercise on my days off.

And it is important to me to exercise because it is part of the routine set up by the pain clinic to help me with the chronic migraines, which have been very difficult to treat. So primarily it is medication, meditation and exercise. To cut one of those out and I could have adverse affects. Something I do Not want to see while working.

It is in fact a very difficult balance to maintain. All the things we do for our health... and working. When I am not working I will do anything for my health, within my very limited financial means. They ask it of me, I will do it. I want improvement. However, you show any slight, every so minor, not even statistically significant improvement and you are Cured and off to work you go. And then somehow you have to manage to do all those things that may have caused that very slight improvement without having work itself causing a massive decline. Complicated? Very. Something in the past I have never managed to succeed at. But then I never managed any significant improvement either. Not that I had any improvement this time, but I will say the meditation does help a little so that is something. Will it help enough? Hard to say.

So finding that extra oomph for exercise is difficult. I had a difficult time with it not working. I had to work my way up to 20 minutes. Slowly and consistently over time. And I was supposed to keep on with that progress. And also keep up with my physio regiment.

I'd like to say I will succeed in establishing that balance as I know it is important but adapting to work has been difficult and hard on the body. That being said if I cannot I may go back to what I had been doing; walking in the evening and on alternate days doing some yoga. Less strain on the body and more relaxing to be honest. I feel that exercise is important for managing pain, but I am not set in stone on aerobic exercise like the pain clinic is. Especially since I read the study they are getting it from and quite frankly I was less than impressed. I understand their reasoning, just that I also see the value in any exercise, period.

Post a Comment

I would love to just redirect you to the new site...

But sadly the redirect function doesn't function. I will continue to persist hitting it and see if it will eventually do something. Or s...