Skip to main content

Random Acts of #Kindness #HAWMC

We love random acts of kindness. Write about a time that you benefited from the kindness of a stranger , or a time when you were the one extending a helping hand. How did you feel? 

 “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention.”
― Kahlil Gibran, The Essential Kahlil Gibran

I have benefited from the kindness of strangers, family, friends and co-workers and every moment of kindness counts in this world.

However, when it is in fact from a stranger it does stand out because there seems to be no reason that person would go out of their way to help you. There is no connection. They act for the act itself and that makes it pretty powerful.

I once worked in a hotel at the front desk right when my migraines were becoming a problem. By that I mean more than chronic. To the point where you can no longer even treat every on because taking that much medication may make it worse, so you have to endure the migraines full blown. Which I did and had and continued to do. However, at this time, unlike now I used to get powerful bouts of nausea with migraines that would could lead to a lot of vomiting. Like you just could not stop. I had yet to be given any additional treatment to help with the increase in migraines. I had yet to be changed from a triptan pill to the sort that melts, so that it would act Before I tossed my cookies. So this was a troublesome period.

I was working Christmas Eve, which is not an issue at all for me. What was an issue is one of these migraines occurred. And I got violently ill. To the point of really being unable to help customers. The hotel manager had to help me out. And every customer I manged to help noticed I was pale, shaking and rather green around the gills. The manager went out of her way to get someone to come in and take over the rest of my shift... but being as it was Christmas Eve there was no one to be found. I resigned myself to this fact. This horrible, horrible, run to the bathroom every five minutes fact. But what can you do? Nothing.

Then comes in a guest that used to work in the hotel years before I started working there. He was in town for something. I didn't sign him in, being as I was preoccupied in the bathroom at that moment. So the manager does so and she knows him well. I have no idea what they talked about only that when I come out all shaky and trembling once more, he has volunteered to take the rest of my shift. Someone I have never met. Don't know. Someone who is on holiday and certainly could not look forward to working instead. I am not sure how much time I had left on that shift, as that is one detail I will never be able to recall in the pain fog I was in. Just that I could go home to hide in the dark and be sick in peace because this man saw how sick I was and volunteered his time.

Frankly I was stunned by his kindness. And I don't even know who he was. I doubt he will ever know that I appreciated it as much as I did. Fact is, I also appreciate the way that manager was to me. Never once criticizing me or my pain or my illness. Managers like that are hard to come by. She was a woman I really respected and did my damndest to earn that respect back. A lot of managers would not have cared about my suffering in that moment. Not one bit, except the cost to them. Not her. And not that man.

Turns out my doctor was certain my migraines got worse due to the shift work on that job. Wrecking havoc on my already disrupted sleep cycle. He temporarily put me on pain killers in order for me to find a new job, as in, I could not longer work there or shift work that extreme.





Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…